Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Can sperm travel through clothing?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can sperm travel through clothing?
Santos
Neophyte
Member # 97565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I know that SEMEN can travel through clothing pretty easy, but I was just wondering if sperm could also?

In a hypothetical situation, if two people were dry humping when the female was ovulating, and her underwear and SWEAT PANTS got wet from her own fluids, and a guy ejaculates and his boxers and shorts got wet with semen; if there was contact (even with these 4 layers of clothing), could sperm travel in the semen through boxers and basketball shorts, and then meet with the fertile Cervical Mucas on the sweat pants and help that sperm travel through the females underwear and get into the vagina? (I say fertile Mucus because I want you to assume the female is ovulating perfectly).

I'm curious because I do not believe sperm can travel through clothes unless they are completely saturated (multiple ejaculations I'd assume?), but I'm wondering if with the help of fertile Cervical Mucus on the female clothes, if that could help sperm get through 4 layers of clothes and possible get the female pregnant?

Is there a pregnancy risk here? And if so, how high is the risk? Thanks.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi santos. You have already asked an almost identical question about sperm getting through clothing, and that was expanded upon and clarified by Robin in your previous post. Furthermore, all the information you need about what situations pose a pregnancy risk or not can be found in those links Robin gave. Here they are again, please check them out:

Pregnancy Scared?

Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santos
Neophyte
Member # 97565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Onionpie,

You are correct, I did ask a similar question. But this one is a little more specific. I am not in a pregnancy scare right now, I'm just asking this particular question out of curiosity.

I have read both articles mentioned. One statement

"If there is a distinct barrier between the vagina and the penis in question, such as thick or nonpermeable clothing (like a few layers of denim or polyester or PVC)..."

Cotton was NOT mentioned in this statement (which is what sweat pants are manufactured from). Does cotton fit in the above statement as well or was it left out because it is indeed permeable?

Also, I have heard if clothes are saturated enough with semen, that indeed, sperm can travel though them. I heard this on another website; I would like to know if that is true and if so, what is "saturated"? (one ejaculation, lots?)

I only ask this specific question in my first comment because I know sperm cannot travel through layers or clothing, but I know semen can, and I have yet to find any website that will clarify if a female is "wet" enough that it causes her clothes to be moist, if that would be enough IN ADDITION to the ejaculation for sperm to have a well enough environment (both semen, and fertile Cervical Mucus) to swim through clothes. (Please let me know if my question makes sense to you)

Sorry for sounding like a nuisance and "pinpointing" every little thing, but I just like to be thorough and make sure I don't assume something when I can have the question answered by someone who knows. You can say I'm a "better safe than sorry" kind of person.

Regards,
Santos

Posts: 15 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sweatpants are thick, so they would be included in the long list of "clothes that prevent pregnancy". Really the only clothes you need to be even slightly concerned about are sheer fabrics like lace. And, in the "where DID I come from?" article, it is explained that there needs to be a LOT of sperm -- and it has to be in enough semen -- to cause a pregnancy. So semen soaking through a layer of clothing would not fit that description. Even if the other person's clothes are moist from vaginal fluids (it wouldn't really be cervical mucous, since that's inside the vagina, on the cervix).

Sperm NEEDS semen to be able to function, so it cannot get through clothing separately from semen. If you go back and re-read that "where DID I come from" article, you will see that there really needs to be quite a lot of semen and sperm involved to pose a potential risk of pregnancy.

I also suggest you don't look up things like this online unless you know you're using reliable sites -- like certified, trusted medical health sites. Anything that isn't a government site or from a peer-reviewed medical group isn't likely to be terrible trustworthy, even if it says there are doctors on the site, okay?

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Santos, just to add,

I think the Scarleteen slogan comes in handy here. "Sex ed for the real world" really is more what us folks on the message boards are able to handle, i.e. dealing with people's issues with looking after their own sex lives and their own risks and their attitude towards risk, rather than hypothetical situations of this type.

Sure we can ponder... and maybe there's some scientific research about what kinds of hoops those crafty sperm cells can jump through... but it all just becomes speculation and probabilities which won't directly help in problems for which we are really well set up to help.

Even if only once in a zillion-billion attempts a single sperm cell propelled by a rogue drop of semen could hypothetically accidentally do a triple backflip, score tens from all the judges then skate right up that female reproductive system to get swallowed up by an egg and result in eventual pregnancy. It's not's a preventable risk... because for an even smaller probability an even rarer, more insanely acrobatic sperm is 'possible' and can overcome whatever new barrier we put in it's way. Being hypothetical by nature, has no limits. We could go on forever, but it would be of no use because the information relevant to a persons real world sex life would not change. And that's what we deal with.

It is perfectly thorough enough to just bridge gaps in our knowledge (which are always inevitable) with the sorts of safety precautions we feel comfortable with. That could mean accepting the risks involved in getting sexual and preparing knowledge about what to do if an especially high STI/Pregnancy risk or avoiding whatever sexual contact we feel uncomfortable with altogether, be it dry humping, sexual intercourse using only one method of protection, or all sexual contact.

[ 10-07-2012, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Jacob at Scarleteen ]

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santos
Neophyte
Member # 97565

Onionpie and Jacob,

Again, thank you for all your time and patience with me. And Onionpie thank you for answering my hypothetical question, as "unrealistic" as it may be.

Regards,
Santos

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.