Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period
HelloLove994
Neophyte
Member # 95513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HelloLove994     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

My period is a week late. It usually is on time or within a 2 or 3 day gap. Since my last period, you could say I've had more stress in my life than there has ever been before. First off, my Grandpa passed away (I've never lost anyone in my family until now). I started school & a new job. And my step-mom's mother passed away last week (it was unexpected but did not have the same effect on me as my own grandpa's). I am thinking my late period is due to stress, but I just wanted another second opinion. I've never had vaginal sex, but I have given my boyfriend oral, kissed him, and then he performed oral on me. I am not sure if sperm could be transferred this way but I was hoping you could help answer my question.

Thanks!

Posts: 32 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandpa: my condolences. [Frown]

A lot of people have the idea that when using the pill or other hormonal methods, their cycles won't be impacted by the kinds of things cycles when NOT using those methods are. But your cycles still can absolutely still be impacted by all the same sorts of things. So, dealing with grief, adding way more stuff and hours to your day (and probably getting less rest as a result): those are both things that can impact a cycle.

In terms of what does and doesn't present risks of pregnancy, just so you know for yourself, you can have a look here: Pregnancy Scared?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67118 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HelloLove994
Neophyte
Member # 95513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HelloLove994     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!

I'm not on any birth control or anything, but I was just curious if that could happen. I was thinking it was more related to stress but I just wanted to see what someone else thought!

Posts: 32 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HelloLove994
Neophyte
Member # 95513

I don't mean to be a nuisance, but I read the link and still am not clear if this poses a risk for pregnancy. Still no period , but it does feel like it could be coming because I am feeling some stomach pain every once in awhile.
HelloLove994
Neophyte
Member # 95513

I don't mean to be a nuisance, but I read the link and still am not clear if this poses a risk for pregnancy. Still no period , but it does feel like it could be coming because I am feeling some stomach pain every once in awhile.
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, let's take a look at the article that Heather linked you to, and see what it lists as activities that pose a pregnancy risk:
quote:
You DID have direct genital-to-genital sex with someone, or were sexually assaulted with direct genital-to-genital contact, and the other person's genitals WERE very different than yours. Vaginal intercourse, where a penis is inside a vagina, is the kind of sex that MOST commonly results in a pregnancy. If a person with a penis ejaculated (came) into a vagina or directly onto a vulva, this is a high pregnancy risk; if they did not, it is much less likely.
There was not direct genital-to-genital sex or contact, but someone with a penis DID ejaculate inside a vagina or directly on or very near a vulva (like on or around the anus).

Those are the ways that someone can become pregnant. If none of that is true for you, you did not have a pregnancy risk.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9010 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HelloLove994
Neophyte
Member # 95513

Sorry that posted twice, it said I needed to try posting again. But thanks for answering, I know you guys are busy and often get the same question over and over! Thanks for what you do!
HelloLove994
Neophyte
Member # 95513

I still haven't gotten my period (3 weeks late. I do have some of the symptoms I normally do before my period, as in my breasts are tender and it seems like sometimes I feel cramps. I checked my cervix today and it is very hard and tightly closed. I added to my stress level with a huge project for school this past week but it's coming to a close in 2 days. Do you have any recommendations for me?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A missing period can happen from time to time, and there is also nothing you can do to bring about a period.

If this next period is missing, too, then it is a good idea to discuss it with your gynecologist just in case. But one missing period, especially if you have a lot going on in your life that is causing you stress, is not a big deal.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9010 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.