Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Varying Withdrawal Bleed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Varying Withdrawal Bleed
Miss_Stress
Neophyte
Member # 97268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss_Stress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excuse me it this is all a little complicated!

I was on Yasmin for 4 months, switched to Yasminelle (a much lower dose of Yasmin) because I was experiencing extreme vaginal dryness and pain during sex which no amount of lube or vaginal moisturiser would help. I have now just finished my 4th pack of Yasminelle. While on Yasmin I would get my period like clock work 4 days into my break week. I never had spotting or had an early or late period.

Since switching to a Yasminelle I experienced spotting in my 1st month (for 2 weeks) and in my 3rd month (for 4 days). The spotting didn't stop until I took my break week and got my withdrawal bleed,

In month 3, my spotting turned into my withdrawal bleed which I got 3 days into my gap week, unlike the usual 4 which I had experienced in the previous months with both Yasmin and Yasminelle. Now having finished my 4th month I got my withdrawal bleed just 2 days into my break week (which is extraordinarily early for me). It seems I'm not getting my bleed like clock work anymore and it worries me slightly.

I'm assuming my hormones are acting a little erratic and I don't know why. Can I trust my pill if it clearly isn't controlling my body like it should? And will my withdrawal bleed ever be like clock work again? I'm even considering switching pills because of this as Yasminelle did not help with my elevating my original problem. I have not missed any pills or taken them late - I always without fail take my pill at 8pm every night.

I know irregular bleeding on the pill can be a sign of pregnancy but since my last scare (which I spoke about here with Heather) I have been doubling up on methods. Also (correct me if I'm wrong) but I don't believe people on the pill who are pregnant can have normal flow periods with bad cramps that require tampons and pads over a number of days. Also, I suppose this isn't that irregular because it's happening during my pill free week, just on different days but it's a little distressing nonetheless - why is my bleed coming early and not like clockwork anymore? Any insight on this would be wonderful!

--------------------
Dee x

Posts: 34 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Breakthrough bleeding and spotting can be more common with lower dose pills. That does not, however, say anything about the effectiveness of the pill. If you are taking it as directed, you can be sure that the pill is doing what it should.

If you've been having regular withdrawal bleed, there is no reason to suspect pregnancy.

So, there is no problem with your protection here. But if the spotting bothers you, and since switching to this brand did not fix your original issue, you might want to go back to your gynecologist and look into other options.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss_Stress
Neophyte
Member # 97268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss_Stress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took a test 3 weeks after the last time I had sex without a condom and it was negative, just to be sure and to set my mind at ease. Since that 'last time' I've had two withdrawal bleeds, so even before this post I was thinking pregnancy would be unlikely! I was going to test again but feel a bit silly spending money on a test when I'm having a withdrawal bleed which is a fairly good indicator I am not pregnant?

I say 'last time' because I've taken the decision to double up despite the fact that I'm in a long term relationship after 7 months of only using the pill for protection. While an unplanned pregnancy would not the end of the world in a few years time when I'm a little older and have my degree it is really, really not something I would like to deal with now. Particularly since we are still fighting for our right to legalise abortion in Ireland, so pregnancy is a frightening thought for me.

Yasminelle is 20 µg of oestrogen, but the new pill I have discussed with my pharmacist is 2.5mg. It is a new pill to the market by the name of Zoley and unlike Yasminelle doesn't contain ethinyl estradiol which I've heard is the culprit for dryness in certain women?

The new pill contains 17-beta estradiol (http://www.imn.ie/clinical/product-news/36-product-news/4780-new-contraceptive-pill-available-in-ireland) which is structurally identical to a women's natural hormone, allegedly. Pity I have to switch from Yasminelle because it's cured my acne but I can't take the dryness anymore. Hopefully with a higher dose pill and with a new form of oestrogen my problems may be finally sorted!

A Mirena IUD would be ideal for me, but unfortunately costs the world where I live.

--------------------
Dee x

Posts: 34 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss_Stress
Neophyte
Member # 97268

One more question in relation to my original question! Is it normal for a withdrawal bleed to come a day or two early, particularly if I'm on a very low dose pill? If I usually get it on day 4 is it unusual to get it on day 2?

And also can you just confirm for me that by getting a withdrawal bleed it is a confirmation that a woman is not pregnant? I know a withdrawal bleed and a period are different but I would just love a reliable answer about this as there is so much conflicting info about this online and elsewhere!

--------------------
Dee x

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Early compared to what? It is perfectly fine for the withdrawal bleed to start a day or two before the withdrawal week. If that's how it's been happening for you consistently, then it seems that that's how your withdrawal bleeds work for you on this pill.

And yes, a withdrawal bleed signals that you are not pregnant. However, you can also take a pregnancy test if you are still unsure.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss_Stress
Neophyte
Member # 97268

I usually get it on day 4 of my gap week, always have and was a little worried as to why it was happening 1 day early last month and then 2 days early this month.

--------------------
Dee x

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually meaning months? Many years?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss_Stress
Neophyte
Member # 97268

I've was on Yasmin for 4 months, when I switched to Yasminelle things started to change. I have just finished my 4th month of that.

--------------------
Dee x

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay.

So, here's the scoop: reproductive life? Usually long. And over the typically three-ish decades we have periods and menstrual bleeds, when we do, we should never figure that if, for a few months, we get a bleed or period on the exact same day, that's going to stick and stay that way for very long.

What are considered "regular" menstrual cycles usually involve deviations of at least a couple days or two pretty frequently.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss_Stress
Neophyte
Member # 97268

Thank you once again Heather! You're like the big sister I never had. [Smile]

--------------------
Dee x

Heather
Member # 3

What a lovely thing to say, cheers!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.