Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Why am I getting treated this way?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why am I getting treated this way?
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for srk20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been coming here for over a year for sound advice. Having grown up in a very closed culture and not learned anythin about sex and reproduction, I found this source to be very helpful. I also understand that over time my posts have been frantic and stress related, but that's also the feeling that majority of other users tend to convey on this forum. The last post that I created was forcefully closed and I'm trying to understand why. In it Heather stated that I have a history of 800 posts, which I do not and do not think that is grounds to feel like I got reprimanded. Here's a link: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/27/t/027846.html

I have seen many other topics started on this forum which have gone to very long lengths in a back and forth and have not seen any of them get closed to not give the original user a chance to respond. I just felt like this treatment was quite unfair and unnecessary to me. I come here asking for advice from those who know more than I do. I do not come here with any other intent.

Posts: 197 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
srk, my mistake on your post count, I'm so sorry about that.

That said, as we make clear in our guidelines, we do reserve the right at any time not to answer posts, to delete them or to close threads.

And while it seems like you haven't noticed it until now, in the past we have closed threads for various reasons, including when we feel like we're simply having the same conversation with a given user over and over and over again with no change or progress.

When we do that, it's with the aim of serving a user best by not enabling a stuck pattern (or enabling a user asking us to help when we feel very certain they need a different kind of help, a kind we have usually recommended before closing a thread), and also doing the best we can for our community as a whole, and to make managing direct services...well, manageable.

It sounds like one of your big issues with this is that you wanted to say something in that thread before it got closed that you weren't able to say. I'd be happy to give you space to do that now, here, if you like.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for srk20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I wanted to say in the other thread was thank you to your team for walking me through sound advice to help educate me and ease my fears. Like I said before I don't have anyone to speak to about these things and if that fear gets into the back of my mind, all I can think about is how scary my life would be and how drastically it would change. When you feel like the consequences would change your life forever, facing that fear can be really tough no matter how improbable that occurance is. So again, thanks for all the support.
Posts: 197 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome for that.

We do know how little information and support is out there and are glad you find what we provide to be helpful.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.