Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Dark discharge/period when not on period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dark discharge/period when not on period
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeyLife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there,

I have a new sexual partner--we started having sex about a week ago. I am on birth control pills, about a week and a half into this pack. I don't think it's correlated, but I started having what seems like a light period since he and I started having sex, nearly every day and fairly consistently. I am thinking this is "normal" mid-cycle bleeding and has nothing to do with him. (Although, I'm not sure why someone would bleed mid-cycle, and I certainly don't, usually). Any ideas?

Posts: 87 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's entirely possible this is a coincidence (or just about some leftover blood from your last withdrawal bleed- that can happen sometimes), but let's also just check a few things:

1) If the sex you're having is genital, are you using safer sex (condoms or other sound barriers to prevent infections?)
2) What about lubricant, if there's any sex with vaginal entry?
3) Anything else going on? Any pelvic pain or anything else amiss besides this discharge or bleeding? Any pain or discomfort during sex?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeyLife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) We are not using condoms or barriers,
2) We have not used lube. I have some on hand, but we have not needed it, and
3) Nothing else is going on as far as unusual pain is concerned. The first time, there was occasional slight discomfort during sex, which I have felt before, with a previous partner. But nothing since then. It's a pressure type pain when he goes in deep, and I think that's because his penis is kind of big--I had a summer fling with a different guy who was smaller before and never felt that with him.

Posts: 87 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay.

So, since you're not doing anything to prevent STIs or other infections, that'd be my main concern. Not only would I advise you start doing so ASAP if you don't want to take giant risks of STIs, I'd also suggest seeing your sexual healthcare provider since you haven't, and this being a new partner, you are looking at a very high risk situation,and sometimes bleeding/discharge like this is due to infection. Can you see someone soon?

Not using lube and having a lot of genital sex, btw, also makes it more likely your genital tissues are a little abraded. Not only can that cause bleeding all by itself, it makes your body more susceptible to picking up infections.

So, no matter how you slice it. I'd suggest a) using safer sex to prevent infections if you haven't acquired anything yet, b) adding lube, especially with this kind of sexual frequency and bleeding potentially having something to do with the lack of it, and c) getting in for a sexual healthcare check as soon as you can, making clear the symptoms you've been having, that you've been having sex unprotected with a new partner, and whatever else your sexual history since your last round of STI tests has involved.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Okay, thank you.

In the meantime, what other symptoms should I be on the watch for, if I did have an infection?

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll want to take note of anything different that is going on with your body so you can pass it along to your doctor. Even if what you're feeling seems unrelated to anything involving your genitals you'll want to mention it to your doctor; they'll be able to figure out whether it's relevant or not and it's better for them to have too much information than too little.

In terms of symptoms, you'll want to make note specifically of any pelvic pain, unusual discharges or sensations, changes or pain with urination, and so on. Again though, pay attention to anything that might seem amiss.

Do you have a health care provider you can get in to see soon?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Yes, we have our campus clinic. Also, I sucked it up and we have condoms now--I don't know why but I was a little worried about asking.
Thanks!

Heather
Member # 3

Good for you! Glad you were able to get past your nervousness to do better by (both of!) your health. [Smile]

Hope you're able to get into the clinic soon.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

I went to the health clinic and thank you for pushing me to do that! I just really didn't want that to be a reality, but the doctor was really really sweet and nice and I felt so much better even before we did anything. I got tested for gonorrhea and chlymidia, and both came back negative, so I think we're good. The discharge started being brown, and is tapering off, so not sure about that, but she said if my period came as normal this week and I didn't have this problem again then we'd just all move on with our lives. Thanks again.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you had a good experience with testing. Having a caring healthcare provider makes such a difference! And so glad to hear that your tests came back negative.

In the future though, testing for just chlamydia and gonorrhea isn't a full STI screening, and it's good to get fully tested on a regular basis.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5722 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.