Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » UTI question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UTI question
graycloud1
Activist
Member # 47176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for graycloud1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I have a question about UTIs: I was wondering whether period blood can cause UTIs. I am asking because when I used the bathroom two days ago I accidentally wiped from back to front inside of the other way around. Now I don't have any particular symptoms aside from a need to urinate-it could also be stress-related-I had a UTI about 2 months ago and thought I had one last month, but I actually didn't. In both situations I took antibiotics and just don't want to keep taken them as I know that the bacteria will become more resistant to them. I am taking cranberry pills and a dietary supplement. I'd just hate to have to go through the same ordeal again...

Posts: 46 | From: USA | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're asking if menses can carry bacteria which can create an infection, the general answer would be no, save that if any fluid or solid sits around for a while, it can.

In other words, if you're using a pad for a few hours, that can wind up collecting bacteria, to be sure.

That said, since trace fecal matter often holds bacteria, period, if you wipe back to front, it's bacteria from that you're much more likely to collect.

But one back-to-front wipe isn't likely to land someone with a UTI.

If you've had a UTI in the last two months, but since felt like you might have one twice since then, I'd suggest seeing your healthcare provider. To make sure that first infection really is all the way gone, but also to make sure what's been going on is a UTI, not another bladder or urinary tract issue.

Also, once someone has a UTI, cranberry isn't recommended anymore: that's only recommended to prevent them. Once you have one, it can exascerbate the infection instead of helping.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graycloud1
Activist
Member # 47176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for graycloud1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Heather for the explanation. I didn't realize that using cranberry pills after the UTI isn't recommended.
I had a culture done last month and the test came out clear. I had a yeast infection, it turned out. I'll see how it goes in the next few days and if,it doesn't get better. I'll go get it checked. Thanks again.

Posts: 46 | From: USA | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, it's fairly common for people to wind up in alternating cycles of UTI-yeast-UTI-yeast. That's primarily about the impact of antibiotics, alas.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.