Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » pregnancy phobia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pregnancy phobia
D3PO
Neophyte
Member # 96429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D3PO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been getting increasingly more and more panicked about pregnancy.

This started before I engaged in any pregnancy-risk causing activity, but has been getting steadily worse. I freak out at least once a week that I might be pregnant, and even at that it's getting more common. Despite consistently using condoms and being on the BC pill, I still worry that I'm going to become pregnant.

My last period was slightly lighter than normal, and even though I know that it was not a hugely significant difference, and that the birth control pill causes lighter periods (part of the reason I went on it), I am still panicked that this could mean that I am pregnant.

I would take a pregnancy test, but I don't feel it would do anything to calm my nerves, as I would just assume that I had taken it wrong, or that the results were innaccurate.

Is there anything you recommend to help me overcome this? From reading the message boards on this sight, it seems this is a fairly common problem. I've made an appointment with my college councellor, but I'm wondering is there anything else you would suggest.

Thank you very much for your help.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi D3PO,

From what you're saying here, you've been experiencing this fear the entire time you've been engaging in sexual activity? Do I understand this correctly?

Given everything you've written here, making an appointment with a counsellor is precisely the first thing we would have suggested. When do you see the counsellor?

It does sound like your anxiety and fear is resistent to factual information, but I'm wondering: How educated do you feel about what does and doesn't pose a pregnancy risk, and about how your birth control works?

You and your counsellor can talk about what the best course of action is for you to take. Have you considered taking a break from sexual activities that can lead to pregnancy?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D3PO
Neophyte
Member # 96429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D3PO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the quick response. Yeah, I've been experiencing this fear since I first started engaging in sexual experiences.

I do feel fairly well aware of what poses an actual risk and what does not. This website's actually been EXTREMELY helpful in that regard, so thank you. One quick question I do have though, is that I noticed one of the symptoms of pregnancy is a lighter period than normal. Is it possible to get an idea of how light is light in this situation?

The counselling appointment is on Monday, so I'll get to talk about things then. I'm reluctant to stop with sexual activity, though, because bizarrely I find it comforting, and I don't think it'll make a huge difference, seeing as if there isn't a current risk, I'll just end up looking back at past "risks".

Posts: 30 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really glad to hear you've found the Web site helpful. [Smile]

Has all of your partnered sexual experience been with the partner you have now? How's that relationship going?

Actually, regarding periods, what is more likely to happen when someone is pregnant is that they won't have bleeding at all. Pregnancy stops the process of menstruation. Some people do experience light bleeding during pregnancy for various reasons, but it generally won't come at the time someone expects a period (or withdrawal bleed in the case of someone who is on hormonal birth control). Bleeding during pregnancy is rare.

So, it's really more realistic to expect that if one has gotten one's period or withdrawal bleed when one expects it, or even that one has gotten it at all, that one is not pregnant.

I'm also glad to hear that you'll have your counselling appointment soon.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D3PO
Neophyte
Member # 96429

can I ask as well, if you use condoms, and they don't break, and fit, and don't visibly leak, are they still only counted as 98% effective, or can you say that it's 100% or not-100%-but-as-close-as-anything-can-be?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

HI There,

The 98% effectiveness rate is calculated statistically from data obtained through research and analysis. So it doesn't reflect individual experiences. What we know about pregnancy is that semen needs to get into the vagina in order for it to occur. If that doesn't happen, we can be almost-as-sure-as-sure that pregnancy cannot occur. So yes, if a condom worked as expected, and if one is effectively using the pill (as I see you are), protection from pregnancy is as close to 100% as one can get and still engage in sexual activity that could lead to pregnancy.

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.