Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » menstrual cup no longer feels comfortable

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: menstrual cup no longer feels comfortable
Member # 95678

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfoliosum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So after a honeymoon phase of a good year and a half, my menstrual cup and I no longer get along. It used to feel super comfy to wear one, but now, the cup feels - not painful, but weirdly uncomfortable, like there isn't room in my vagina to wear one. It sometimes causes sudden urges to urinate, and by day 4 of bleeding, I can't wear it at all because it starts to get pushed back out. I've also found that inserting fingers or dildoes into my vagina also feels different - almost like something is pushing against the walls of my **** and causing resistance and discomfort if I try to insert anything.

Even without a diva cup, I'm having problems with pelvic discomfort (again, not really pain, but something just feels strange), urinary urgency and some incontinence, and I'm constipated all the time. This has been going on for almost a year, but since I've been moving from place to place a lot and haven't had access to decent medical care, I'm not sure what might be going on.

I don't have health insurance, but I did find a women's (sic) health clinic that should be affordable (I live in San Francisco now, and I'm staying put). Anyway, my question is basically, is this is a common ish and is there something that's likely causing it? And are there any tips for being a good advocate for myself when I do see someone? I feel like most of the times I go to a clinic, I leave feeling patronized or violated and with no useful information.


Posts: 3 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're having general problems with pelvic discomfort and urinary issues, I'd really suggest going into that women's health clinic ASAP. They'll be able to run tests and examine you, which we unfortunately can't do here [Smile] And for now, I'd probably avoid using the cup until you find out what's up, if I were you. Even just for your own comfort, at least.

In terms of being a good advocate for yourself, what some people find to be helpful is writing down everything you know you need from this, and any questions you have, and you can either read/give the list to the doc, or at least have it in your pocket to help remind you to be assertive about your needs. Does that sound like it could help you?

[ 02-03-2013, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 95678

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfoliosum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I got a pelvic, and the NP told me that everything seems fine except that I'm in pain, so I have at least a few weeks of waiting to do before I can get seen by a specialist.

Meanwhile, in addition to what I was feeling before, orgasms are now seriously painful. What I mean is that the muscle contractions that go with orgasm (I think it's the PC muscle?), which normally feel awesome, feel like a charliehorse instead. It doesn't matter if I only stick to external stimulation - it's the orgasm itself that is painful.

I can't find any reliable information about this online - painful intercourse, yes, painful orgasm, no.

Posts: 3 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oftentimes the information on pain with intercourse you'll see on medical sites includes -- even though it doesn't say that explicitly -- pain with orgasm.

But since you're having pain with your cup, and with orgasm, obviously something is up. But until we/you have some information back from that exam, I don't know how we could begin to figure out what, exactly, is going on, I'm afraid.

Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3

Search Scarleteen