Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » birth control without moodswings

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: birth control without moodswings
D3PO
Neophyte
Member # 96429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D3PO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I've been having a lot of problems with the combined pill. It's been giving me a lot of problems with mood and anxiety (I think it was largely responsible for my worries about pregnancy I asked about in an earlier post) and it's not really working for me. I've tried two pills, and so far as I've been told they're quite different, different progestins and I moved from a brand with the highest estrogen available to the lowest. I'm on the new pill for less than the months, and it has been a lot better than the first pill but I've had a day or two where I haven't really been able to get out of bed, and my stress is affecting my work and my relationships, so I don't think it's really worth the risk of it not settling out.

I'm reluctant to try a progestin only method, because i have a family history of female hair loss, and wouldn't really want to risk it. How common is problems with hair loss with the different progestin methods do you know? And is there much hope in a new pill doing better if the two brands both created similar effects? Also, what are my options for non-hormonal methods? I already use condoms, and wouldn't be comfortable without a back up, but I've heard IUDs aren't really recommended for young women, and diaphragms don't really seem to be a thing anymore.

I'm going to my doctor in a few days, but any information you could give me as well would be much appreciated.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI D3PO,

Hair loss is a possible side effect of any hormonal birth control method, though it's more likely to be one if a person already experiences hair loss. That is, the hormonal birth control won't cause hair loss in just anyone, but if someone is already experiencing hair loss, the hormones can trigger itt to happen more.

From what I understand though, the progesterone-only pill isn't any more likely to do this than combination hormonal birth control. Snce you have a family history, but do not yourself experience hair loss, this would be something to discuss with your doctor to get their perspective and experience on.

I'd definitely suggest that you talk to your doctor about whether a single hormone method might help you with these mood swings.

IUDs are just fine for young women. The idea that they weren't appropriate was never correct n the first place, and has been shown to be incorrect. There is a slightly higher risk that a woman who has never been pregnant before will expel the IUD or have a lot of difficulty with insertion, but this risk is not high enough to contraindicate IUD use. So, if you do want a non-hormonal method, the non-hormonal IUD is an option you can discuss with your doctor.

Here's some more information on IUDs. You'll also find links to other birth control methods. How about you take a look through all of these then we can talk about the options that you think might work for you?

Intrauterine Devices (IUD, IUC or IUS)

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One more thing: Diaphragms and other cervical barriers are still manufactured and in use. In some places it's difficult to find a healthcare provider who knows how to fit them, but it's still worth asking about as many providers do have patients who use them.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D3PO
Neophyte
Member # 96429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D3PO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that! I will talk to my doctor! [Smile]

One more thing that isn't related, but rather than clogging up the message boards, I thought I'd ask here- can you use latex free condoms with oil-based products? I've recently switched and I've heard that you can, but thought it better to ask before trying.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexalex
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 100767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alexalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The old school polyurethane condoms seem to be okay with oil based products, but the newer polyisoprene condoms (which is what most of them are now, because it's a more flexible material than polyurethane) is not, sadly. I just did a bunch of research on this myself because I'm a big fan of coconut oil as moisturizer after I shave.
Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.