Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Having weird side effects from Plan b.. Potential Pregnancy RIsk?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Having weird side effects from Plan b.. Potential Pregnancy RIsk?
Marcelline1995
Neophyte
Member # 97310

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Marcelline1995     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all! I am new to this site so bear with me!
I am 17, and last week (Tuesday, September 4 (i believe)) I had my first UNPLANNED sexual encounter. I was at a university residence party, got severely intoxicated and decided to sleep with the floor manager (no judgments please). He DID use a condom and was in me for no more than 9 minutes max because I WAS in fact a virgin and it was extremely painful. I had just finished my period 2 days ago. He did not cum in me. After this, I got home to lots of bleeding and assumed it was my broken hymen. I was sober by then and was extremely upset, angry at myself and scared to death about having sex as I am NOT on birth control.
The next day I spend it freaking out, feeling icky and gross and still having some bleeding.
Thursday, I go to see the campus doctor who does a STI test (which thank god came back negative for everything) and prescribed Plan B to me due to my worried behavior about the whole thing. I get it and take it (after about 34 hours after sex). Everything is fine for the weekend (though still worried sick and not sleeping from the thought of a pregnancy) as well as frequent urination. Just this Tuesday of this week, I wake up to cramps, severe bloating and the heaviest menstruation I had ever seen. Throughout the day it is extremely heavy and I feel like a whale. Urinating but not as frequently. Lasted a day and a half and went down to spotting which has dissipated today. I am still bloated but maybe not as bad as before. I am still beyond worried and being me, have googled every pregnancy symptom and weird plan b encounter that I could get a hold of. What I did was immature and if I end up being pregnant, my parents WILL kill me. so help! I don't understand why I was bleeding randomly and it has stopped, if that is a sign of pregnancy, what is implantation bleeding etc. I also want to know if there is a chance I could still be pregnant and when to take a pregnancy test. It will ruin my life if I end up being pregnant but I am hopeful!!! Thanks for listening!
xx

Posts: 14 | From: Alberta | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Irregular bleeding is actually a very, very common side-effect of Plan B, so this is not at all unusual or wierd.

If you used a condom for all direct genital contact, and the condom did not break of slip off, you do not have to worry about a pregnancy risk from that encounter, so you can rest easy.

If you want to take a pregnancy test to be sure, you can to do so at two weeks after the risk.

If you want, we can talk some more about how you feel about the sex you had. I am hearing you say that you feel some regret about that. How did that encounter happen? Did you want it at the time? How drunk were you?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcelline1995
Neophyte
Member # 97310

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Marcelline1995     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ 09-14-2012, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Marcelline1995 ]

Posts: 14 | From: Alberta | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcelline1995
Neophyte
Member # 97310

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Marcelline1995     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ 09-14-2012, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Marcelline1995 ]

Marcelline1995
Neophyte
Member # 97310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcelline1995     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest I am beyond freaked out about a potential pregnancy. I havent slept in almost 2 weeks. Its a very difficult time especially because I dont know when my period will come again
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, it sounds to me like there's a lot here you want to talk about, beyond just being afraid of a possible (but from the sounds of things, deeply unlikely) pregnancy.

Would you like one of us to talk through some of the other things you've brought up here, like your feelings around this encounter (which, to be honest, doesn't sound like it was even consensual on your part, if you were not only intoxicated, but so much so you weren't able to say no when you wanted to AND a legal adult brought you into a party for adults, especially if they also gave you more booze)?

If so, we'd be happy to. And really, I'd say it's pretty important, especially since it sounds like you're perhaps treating this like a consensual, lawful encounter when it doesn't seem to be at all, especially if, again, you were drunk, and this adult gave you any booze at all, let alone was sexual with you.

[ 09-14-2012, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcelline1995
Neophyte
Member # 97310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcelline1995     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do but I dont want to get anyone in trouble or have this webpage given tot he police or something. I did not say no. I knew in the back of my mind that it was wrong but honestly , the wild part of me came out and made an aweful descision.. one that im seriously regretting. I just dont want to get myself or this guy in trouble, it was a one time thing. I am more dissapointed in myself for knowing which is wrong and which is right
Marcelline1995
Neophyte
Member # 97310

i just want to know about the weird sife effects of plan b. Please i dont want to get anyone in trouble, I dont want things to happen, I just want to know about my life now. I made a mistake. Please i beg you, i dont want to get him in trouble. I said yes. It wasnt rape. I should have said no but I wanted to be part of the group. Im sorry

[ 09-14-2012, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Marcelline1995 ]

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, let me first make sure we're on the same about what consent is.

It's not just not saying no. In fact, that's not consent at all, but how some people (too many, alas) misunderstand it, especially, often younger people and women.

Consent is about clearly saying yes, or otherwise giving an affirmative answer. Going along with sex passively isn't either of those things.

Consent, too -- and this very much includes legally -- has to happen when everyone involved CAN give consent. And when anyone is drunk? Then we're outside the legal range of what can be consensual.

If this person is over 21 themselves and gave a minor an intoxicant? That's one more crime he committed, and if he gave you that booze, or brought you somewhere to get it with the intent to do anything sexual to you, that's yet one more.

So, it sounds entirely likely this person you don't want to get into trouble likely committed at least one and potentially three different crimes here. This isn't minor stuff, as you might already know just by how you're feeling.

I think you're putting a lot on yourself here that isn't sound, especially any choices made when you were drunk, when, when it comes to sex, you can't make a choice within the law: in other words, the law recognizes that without your faculties, you lacked the capacity to freely consent, and that it is more difficult for people to even consider their choices or actively make them when intoxicated.

For sure, there might be some of your own stuff to sit with here, and to consider for the future, like doing what you can to moderate your drinking, or to only drink in spaces where you know you're safe and with people you trust. There might be some stuff to learn in here, too, about better recognizing that people who seem cool because they will break rules for you might well have -- and often do have -- ulterior motives.

But even if there are takeaways for you like that, that still doesn't make an alcohol-facilitated sexual assault your responsibility or doing.

With me so far with all of that?

[ 09-14-2012, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcelline1995
Neophyte
Member # 97310

I consented! I did please I dont want this to escalate please dont do this to me, please. I dont want to get in trouble. He is not over 21, hes 17 as well. Can we please not make this an issue? Please I have to get through univeristy. I came on here to ask about plan b nothing else. DOnt report this, please! It wasnt a sexual assault because I told him i wanted it ok>? Theres the truth. I wanted it. PLease cant we not make this a huge issue?
Marcelline1995
Neophyte
Member # 97310

Heres the actual story. I went there on intentions of doing something with him,. I had met him the previous day and was interested. I got the alcohol from home, met my friends there and told everyone i wanted to hook up with him. He wanted to too and so I did it because I wanted to look cool and have people say "oh wow shes with the CA" it was stupid but I dont want this escalating anymore than it is. There is the WHOLE truth. I DID consent and told him I would have sex with him BEFORE I was drunk.
Heather
Member # 3

Please know you don't need to be concerned about us reporting this on your behalf in this situation, especially when you're in a different country than we are and we don't have enough information to report even if we were mandated and felt we needed to for your safety.

Whether or not you want to report is your decision.

It's not at all my intention to make an issue out of something that isn't. I brought up what I did based on what you have posted about this --- you'd said you didn't say no, not that you said you wanted to do this, so obviously, I can only go by what information you give me -- and how you are feeling about it. Hopefully you understand, too, that self-blame is very common with sexual assault and nonconsent, and with you talking about feeling the way you were, I wanted to make sure you understood one possible big reason for that.

But by all means, if you don't want to discuss this further, we certainly do not have to, and you're not required to.

I hear you saying now you only want to talk about questions or issues with Plan B. So, do you have any of those that haven't been addressed you need answered?

[ 09-14-2012, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Marcelline1995
Neophyte
Member # 97310

I apologize, I am just in a very nervous mind set. I had my period for one day very heavy and I dont know why. I now have no idea as to when I will be getting it again.. any insight?
Heather
Member # 3

No need for apologies: what you want to talk with us about is up to you.

Plan B, as one of the possible side effects, can mess with your menstrual cycle. It doesn't have an impact sometimes, other times it can change things like level of flow, or periods can be late or missed or off-schedule for anywhere from one cycle to a few in a row. It can also sometimes cause bleeding, but then, so can things like vaginal abrasions, which are usually not about hymens, but about things like not being aroused enough, not using extra lube, and for sure, being intoxicated and having intercourse can often cause abrasion, too.

Unfortunately there's no predicting how and what is going to happen around this from person-to-person.

[ 09-14-2012, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Marcelline1995
Neophyte
Member # 97310

OK but ive heard from some friends and friends of friends that many people get bleeding from plan b... i called health sex link in my city and shes 99 % sure that was from plan b and that using a condom and plan b in conjucntion shouild guarantee me a 0.000001 % chance of being pregnant.. any thoughts on how serious a risk this is?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you used a condom and took Plan B very soon after, a pregnancy risk really isn't something that you need to be concerned with. I understand that you are very worried about this, but you really have done all you can on that front.

What can we do for you to help you calm down a little?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcelline1995
Neophyte
Member # 97310

I am not sure... I am really bloated and eating everything in site.... just like i do before my period... is this a sign of pregnancy? I have also been pretty tired lately (maybe lack of sleep). I have no idea what to do to put my mind at ease. Talking helps, especially to strangers where no judgements can be made to my face.... do you think that I could perhaps be pregnant?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Your risk happened a week ago, so it is way, way too soon for pregnancy symptoms of any kind.

If feeling bloated and having food cravings is usually something you experience before your period, then I would say it's likely that your period will come soon. When are you due for your period?

Do you have anyone that you can talk to? Any friends to support you in this?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Marcelline1995
Neophyte
Member # 97310

I am not sure when I am due.. I was just finished my period 2 days before I had sex with him... SO this tuesday coming up would make it 3 weeks since my period (its generally sort of on time, food cravings, bloating, sore breasts etc). I havent had sore breasts at all yet and that worries me as this starts like a week before my period comes. With plan B it can apprently make your periods very late too. I have friends but they dont understand why I am so freaked out as they do this all the time.
Are there any signs I can watch for for an early pregnancy???

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Yes, it is true that Plan B can cause an irregular cycle. That is very common, but of course a late period is the last thing you need when you are already freaked out. What you can do to ease your mind is take a pregnancy test - that will give you an accurate result at two weeks after the risk.

The only way to tell for sure if someone is pregnant is a missed period, confirmed by a positive pregnancy test. So trying to look out for any other symptoms will only drive you needlessly crazy.

Marcelline, you are in college, right? If you don't feel like you can turn to your friends for support, I would suggest that you make an appointment with your school's counseling center. You don't have to start up with regular sessions, but I think it would be great for you if you had a sympathetic ear. And supporting people who are in a rough spot is what the counseling center is there for. Do you think you can do that?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Marcelline1995
Neophyte
Member # 97310

I think so ! The only other person is my gram but shes out of the country for now. Allright well i will go and buy one but ill have to do it on campus, i cant bring one home ... Any tips for a hpt? And yeah a late period is the last thing i need
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Marcelline. Have you seen this article yet? Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

It has lots of information and tips for taking HPTs [Smile]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcelline1995
Neophyte
Member # 97310

Thanks thats super helpful! So can anyone tell me any of their experiences with plan b? I feel like im (and im sure im not) the only one out there with the bloating , craving food and random one day menstruation. Also can i count this day as my period ?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One day of bleeding isn't likely to be a period. Plan B can cause spotting/bleeding that isn't your period, so it's more probable that that's what the bleeding was.

If you'd like to hear other people's experiences with Plan B, you are more than welcome to make a thread in the main section of the boards (where anyone can reply), but really, hearing what other people dealt with in terms of side effects will only tell you so much because everyone's body is different. There are no "right" and "wrong" side effects, and nothing you're describing is cause for concern. [Smile]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.