Donate Now

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » toilet seat? ugh.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: toilet seat? ugh.
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for srk20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been refraining from sexual contact of any sort for quite a few months now as I realized I'm just not ready for it. I had a strange encounter with a toilet seat a few hours ago. My brother used it and I went in after him. There was some liquid on top of the seat which i wiped off, as I was wiped myself my hand touched the under side of the back part of the seat and i ended up rubbing my hand against my vulva as I pulled it forward. Is it possible for semen to survive in places like the bottom side of a toilet seat? I know its a ridiculous question but I would really appreciate the advice.
Posts: 197 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
srk, have we linked you to this article yet?
Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction
That should answer your question for you!

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 8994 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for srk20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From that article I feel like there is a risk because it says that speem can live up to 20 mins in an inhospitable environment and I went and used the bathroom just a few minutes after my brother. Can you please give me some further clarification as to if I have a risk or not?
Posts: 197 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robin got it [Smile]

[ 09-04-2012, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1182 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI SRK20,

Let's back up a bit here, okay? Do you have a reason to think that it was semen on the toilet seat? Toilets are used for urination and defecation; since urination involves liquid, it seems more plausible to me that what you found on the seat was urine.

In regards to whether this is a pregnancy risk, the important thing to focus on here is how pregnancy *can* happen. We don't have enough space to list all of the ways it *can't* happen but the article Joey linked you to clearly states how it *can* happen.

So, let me ask you: We know that your vulva didn't come into contact with a penis, so was there direct contact between your vulva and a significant amount of freshly ejaculated semen?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

I guess I just got worried because I've known boys before who have used the toilet as a place to masturbate. So when I saw that liquid on top and under the seat I got worried and thought of worst case scenario. What do you mean by a significant amount of fluid? Does that mean drops on a toilet seat aren't significant enough?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, it's simply not reasonable or sound to even talk about how much or how many. You will not become pregnant via a toilet seat, period.

If anyone can find me any documentation of even one case where that or anything like it happened, I will not only eat my hat, I'll take video of me doing it and show the whole internet.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

What if there had been full ejaculate on the seat and I hadn't noticed and I went in just a few minutes after my brother and sat on it?
I'm not trying to argue here, I'm just trying to explore all possibilities.

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi srk20. I really don't see how there'd be enough semen to cause a potential pregnancy risk and yet you wouldn't notice it there, either seeing it or at least feeling it when you sat down. I know you said you're trying to explore all possibilities, but really there just ISN'T one here. Had there been enough semen to pose a risk, you'd have noticed. Make sense? [Smile]

[ 09-05-2012, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1182 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

That's sort of what I'm saying- I sat down and did feel moisture when I touched it and mistakenly rubbed my hand against my vulva, which is why I'm worried [Frown] Does this mean that I did have a risk?

[ 09-05-2012, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: srk20 ]

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

I honestly have no clue why you're assuming that liquid was semen. The most likely thing it would have been is urine. As heather said, you just won't become pregnant from a toilet seat, and if you read that article joey linked to, you will understand why that is. If you want any help clarifying something from in that article, feel free to ask and we will be pleased to help [Smile] But I'm afraid our answer here really isn't going to change.
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

So I took all of your advice and forgot about the issue until yesterday.. When I got some red spotting on my underwear. I'm about 2 weeks before my withdrawal bleed and I've been on this pill for over 6 months now. The only breakthrough bleeding I experienced was during the first few months and nothing after that so I strongly feel that this cannot be breakthrough but Moreso implantation. How does implantation bleeding work? Is it spotting for an entire day or can it just be spotting once an then nothing after that? I've been cautiously wiping since yesterday and there hasnt been anything other than what was left on my underwear yesterday afternoon. I would really appreciate your help on this
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy to give information that's general about implantation bleeding. But what I'm not comfortable with is what feels like enabling anxiety, since you're asking about this thinking it's you who may be pregnant from something which does not pose any pregnancy risks.

In other words, I can tell you about implantation bleeding, but I can also tell you this is not something you are experiencing.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Olay id really appreciate it if you could give me the general knowledge at least so I know the differences. Thank you
Heather
Member # 3

Well, again, YOU are not going to, because YOU are not experiencing that bleeding. In order to be experiencing that, you'd have to be pregnant. In order to be pregnant, you'd have to have done or had done to you the things that can cause pregnancy, and no manner of sitting on a toilet seat is one of those things.

So, how YOU can know the difference between that and spotting for other reasons is because you know you are not pregnant. If you don't know that, and all the facts we have already given you over many posts about that, including this one, then you can taker a pregnancy test to find out. Okay?

Here's in-depth info on this right here in this forum, posted at the top of it: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/27/t/023303.html

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Olay id really appreciate it if you could give me the general knowledge at least so I know the differences. Thank you
Heather
Member # 3

I just did: just click that link right there. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Thanks so much for the info. I actually have a follow up question- can excercise cause mid cycle bleeding even on birth control? For the past two weeks I've started an excercise routine where I do 40 mins of extensive cardio every day, something I never did before. Could this change have caused the bleeding?
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Drastic changes to our exercise routine often can have affects on our menstrual cycle. So it's possible that the change to your exercise schedule caused the bleeding; however, we can't say for sure, as we're not doctors. If you want to just double check to make sure everything's fine and dandy, I'd suggest talking to your doctor about the bleeding [Smile]

[ 09-15-2012, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Ok thank you so much for the help. One last thing- at about 206 lbs right now, and this is the he heaviest I've been. My doctor prescribed me my bc (Aviane) when I was over 200 and never mentioned it no being as effective because of my weight. Since you guys have the up to date education- I wanted to know if you think at this current weight, will my pill still be reliable and effective in protecting against pregnancy?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your doctor is actually the best source of information on this, since they have the whole of your health history and the relevant information about birth control. So, if your doctor prescribed your the pill and didn't mention your weight, you can assume it's just fine.

Fore the record, the most current information doesn't show a strong correlation between weight OR body mass index and failure rate of contraception. There haven't been many studies done, and those that have been done haven't all had the same results, so this is something that's still being investigated, but at this point I'd say you're just fine. (Plus, you're not engaging in any sexual activity at this point, so whether or not your pill maybe slightly less effective is kind of a moot point, you know?)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5658 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Thank you all so much for the help!
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Is this true? It states that a woman who is 5'4 and above 160 has a higher risk of contraception failure? I'm 206, what does this say for me :/

http://contraception.about.com/od/thepill/i/overweight_2.htm

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

As Karyn already said, your doctor is the best person to go to about this. As she also said, research on this topic is at its beginnings and there's no solid evidence for anything right now. But since your doctor did not bring up your weight as a potential issue with birth control, you should be fine. If you want more information around this, you can also call/talk to the pharmacy that dispenses your pills.
Heather
Member # 3

Hold up on this a sec.

So, here's the scoop: the long-term studies of the combination pill (and patch and ring) until now have only been done on women under 220 pounds or so, last I checked. What that means is that for women over that weight, if effectiveness was different was a question mark, not a no OR a YES. (And the clinicians and doctors I know who prescribe pills for women over that weight will often simply adjust the dosage to a little higher just in case it is a less-effective issue, or just suggest a different method.)

Not only is that not you, but doctors take weight into account when choosing medications: it matters with plenty, and it's part of their job, the job they are trained to do.

IF your doctor thought your weight would not make the pill effective for you, I promise you, they would not have prescribed it or would have suggested you use a backup method when *actually engaging in sex,* as in, when real risks of pregnancy exist.

So, for now, if you remain concerned about that, then your doctor, again, is the person to talk to.

But also for now, we need to stop discussing all of this when you are not reporting actually DOING anything which presents a real pregnancy risk.

As I'm sure I've mentioned to you in the past, we really need to focus on reality here, and don't feel comfortable enabling users not to: feeding into anyone's unreasonable anxiety only tends to amp it or keep it going, rather than helping them to learn to manage it.

That all given, I'm going to close this thread and also ask, as I think I have before, that you please not bring persistent fears of pregnancy from situations which don't present a risk to us. If this is as constant and persistent as it seems, for your own well-being, it really is vital to speak with a mental healthcare provider.

In my experience and opinion, this level of unrealistic fear (which composes most of your over 100-post history here [edited: typo]) truly is something that can (and obviously has) deeply impact your quality of life, and is something only a mental healthcare provider is likely to be able to help you with, okay?

Lastly, if you don't feel confident with your doctor having more information on prescribing medications to you than we do, I'd STRONGLY suggest asking for a different healthcare provider. Because any prescribing physician should have much more information and education on the medications they are prescribing than we do, and the vast majority will.

[ 05-23-2013, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.