Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Newish freckle on my nipple. Should I be concerned?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Newish freckle on my nipple. Should I be concerned?
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kabith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Scarleteen!

So, I recently undressed in front of a mirror and noticed a brown spot on the under side of my left nipple. I don't really do "routine" breast check ups in the mirror, but I do press on them and feel them once in awhile to check for any texture changes or lumps. I haven't really looked at myself super close in the mirror recently, so I'm not sure how new this freckle is. I asked my boyfriend, who tends to look at my breasts more than me, and he says that he thinks it was there before. I do know that it wasn't there two years ago.

Should I be concerned? Is it normal? I am worried that it might have something to do with cancer, or pregnancy, or some other serious health consequence. Thoughts?

Posts: 120 | From: Washington State - USA | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Kabith,

As with any part of the body, there can be changes to the skin on the breasts, including the nipple and areola (area around the nipple). Throughout our lives we can develop any moles, freckles, or other spots. These changes should be monitored by a doctor at routine appointments to make sure nothing is wrong, but they aren't, in themselves, causes for worry.

So,
So, make sure to mention it at your next routine doctor's appointment, and if you don't go in for routine appointments it's probably a good idea to check in with a doctor at some point in the next month or two just to make sure this is okay.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kabith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok! When should women start receiving regular breast exams? I know my mom gets one every year or so, but no one has really told me when I should start thinking about it.

(Also, you guys are so great at responding quickly, it is awesome c:)

Posts: 120 | From: Washington State - USA | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey There,

We certainly do our best to respond quickly, though it isn't always possible. [Smile]

The information I have found indictes that breast exams by a health care professional should start at age 20. This doesn't prevent you, or anyone, from expressing concerns to a doctor about breast health and asking them to take a look at any age. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Well, I turn 20 tomorrow, so it is about time I go in away then! Thanks for your support [Smile]
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Oh, another quick question! Do you have an article that guides us through self-breast exams? My mom said it is good to do a few times a year, but I lost her little handout on it. Lemme know, and if not I'll see if my doctor has a handout.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Happy early birthday.

--------------------
Robin

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kabith.An excellent resource we recommend for learning how to do a self-exam can be found here: http://www.fwhc.org/health/self-breast-exam.htm
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Thank you Robin and Onionpie!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.