Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » 2 missed periods

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2 missed periods
amg2012
Neophyte
Member # 95726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amg2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So my girlfriend has now missed her second period last week. We only had one single sexual encounter two months ago, due to long distance, but it wasn't quite direct penis in vagina (a full load on her hand that may or may not have come in contact with her vulva). She took a pregnancy test about 4 weeks after the encounter (1-2 days after her missed period, now she just took another one, about 2 months after the encounter (2-3 days after her second missed period. This all started wehn she switched to Lo loestrin fe which only has two sugar pills (It's says it's the lowest dose of hormones)...I've read a lot of stories about people who don't get it while on Lo Loestrin fe, but I'm still freaked out...I guess what are the chances that the two pregnancy tests failed? Thanks a million
Posts: 30 | From: CO | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two pregnancy tests taken properly giving false results would be exceptionally unusual. And for sure, her pill could be at the root of this.

How about she calls into the healthcare provider that prescribes her pill and asks what they think she should do at this point?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amg2012
Neophyte
Member # 95726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amg2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Heather. We already called and they mentioned it is quite common. I just wanted to get your opinion since I trust and respect this site. Thanks again [Smile]
Posts: 30 | From: CO | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure thing. So, that given, I'd just say if she's sure she took the tests correctly, to give it another few weeks. Then, if she hasn't had any bleeding or spotting, I'd suggest she go in to get seen.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amg2012
Neophyte
Member # 95726

Will do. We talked about it, and she's probably going to switch back to the nuvaring after this pill pack...and I do believe she's had very little spots in her underwear that looked light possible blood.
Heather
Member # 3

So, she has had some spotting. That given, it sounds like we can be pretty sure this is about her pill.

Is she unsatisfied with this pill? I ask because switching back may just mean more of this for another couple of months. Often, menstrual cycle wonkiness with any hormonal contraception is about the body adjusting to it, which can take a cycle or two.

So, if this lack of a withdrawal bleed is the only reason she'd want to switch (I assume she switched from the ring for a reason?), it might not be the best one. Might be more sound for her to give things another couple months first to see if it takes care of itself.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

amg2012
Neophyte
Member # 95726

I'm assuming it was spotting by looking at it while I was doing her laundry...She switched from nuvaring because she wanted to try something with less hormones, because she felt like she gained to much weight and her breasts increased in size as well. The doctor recomended Lo Loestrine Fe because of it's very low dose of hormones, but she hasn't noticed a difference. This pill has 24 regular pills, 2 white pills (I think just a lower dose), and 2 inactive pills...instead of the full 7 inactive pills or "ring free week"....It seems to me that the withdrawal bleed to happen in such a small time frame would not be as likely as other pills with 7 inactive pills...maybe it's the reason so many people claim to not get a period while on it...Don't get me wrong, I'm sure having little to no period is nice, but we just prefer the assurance of a period
Heather
Member # 3

Just FYI, weight gain from any hormonal method usually isn't from the method: that weight gain is not only usually mostly water weight, it's only 5-10 pounds at a max. If it's more, it's usually because someone has been eating more or active less, the most typical reasons for anyone gaining weight that's not muscle. Breast changes, too, are usually subtle.

Point is, I'm betting with either method, she probably won't see a big difference since her ring probably wasn't responsible for any major changes.

With pill that shorten with withdrawal period, it is most common for people using them to see more light spotting and far, far less withdrawal bleeding. Sometimes using those kinds, there will even be only spotting and no regular withdrawal bleeds.

So, for sure -- and it'd be a pity if her doc didn't tell her about this, especially if she made clear she prefers having a withdrawal bleed for her peace of mind -- if she wants a regular withdrawal bleed, then this probably isn't a good choice of pill for her.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.