Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Yeast Again

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yeast Again
Roxie102
Peer Ambassador
Member # 72015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roxie102     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really embarrassed and upset about this, but I think I've got a yeast infection for the 3rd time since March. I really have no clue what's causing it because I'm healthy, don't wash my vulva with soap, don't douche, wear cotton panties, and let my vagina breathe at night.

The first time I had one, I went to the doctor and she diagnosed me without doing a swab of any kind (I wish she had done a swab, but whatever.). The second time, I just called her and she called me in a pill. This time though, I'm at college and I don't know what to do. I could go home to my doctor but that would be a little difficult and I'd likely miss classes. My college has a women's clinic but it's only one evening a week. Standard treatments are free but they charge for a full gyno exam. Would they do a full exam if I only go in for a yeast infection? Also, would it be necessary to go to the women's clinic or could I likely just go see the doctor or nurse at any time?

This is just really, super frustrating. [Frown]

[ 09-04-2012, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Roxie102 ]

Posts: 255 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our bodies get sick or out of balance sometimes. That's just how bodies are, it's nothing anyone needs to feel any shame about.

Am I getting it right that you yet to have anyone actually do an exam and give you a yeast diagnosis? I ask, because if they haven't yet, and this keeps coming back, it might be because it was never a yeast issue in the first place.

So, I do think it sounds like you need a full exam. Is that something you can afford at your college? If not, might there be a sliding-scale women's clinic anywhere you can get to?

(Just for the record, yeast infections -- if that is what this is -- don't actually usually start in the vagina, but in the digestive tract, and move there from that tract, to our butts, and then our vaginas. So, yeast infections usually aren't about douching (or not), vaginal hygiene, etc., even though the things you're doing can certainly help prevent them sometimes.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roxie102
Peer Ambassador
Member # 72015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roxie102     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first time, I went to my doctor, told her I wasn't sexually active (had only received manual at the time), and she just asked me to undress and just asked about my symptoms, looked at my vulva, and told me I had a yeast infection.

The second time, I was having serious chunks along with the itchiness so I was pretty sure I had a yeast infection. I called and after taking the pill, I've been okay until now. (That was early May).

I went for a checkup back in July and she told me we could wait to do an exam. I wasn't having any symptoms at the time so I too thought waiting would be okay.

So here I am now. The exam is $20, which I could afford, but if I need a prescription, I likely won't be able to afford that. So, I'm not sure what to do.

You would then recommend going to get an exam?

Posts: 255 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roxie102
Peer Ambassador
Member # 72015

oh, also, if I get an exam, would they do a complete STI screening? I ask because that's a lot extra and I can't afford that either. Too, I've only had one partner, and though I haven't been tested, he has, and was STI free, and we have only had unprotected oral.
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, okay. So, she likely did what's called a "whiff" test, which is pretty much what it sounds like, and is standard for diagnosing yeast.

So, if this keeps coming back, despite using the treatments properly you have been given, I would say you want to be seen by someone else. But I winder if it might not be more sound to see a general GP, who can look at your whole health, and maybe also help to see if there's not something else at the root of this, like something nutritional or in your guts?

Is it possible for you to see a GP soon? If not, then I'd say to go to the women's health center, get an exam, but be real with them about the missing $ for a prescription if they're going to give you one. Sometimes health centers have samples, or other ways they can help a patient who can't afford a scrip to get what they need.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

With the STI screening, I don't know if your health center's exam includes those. probably not, but you'd have to ask them what an exam and its fee includes. But I would mention your sexual history so they can help you decide if you need those screenings yet and, if so, which ones. With that kind of sexual history, you certainly wouldn't need to be tested for all STIs at this point.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Roxie102
Peer Ambassador
Member # 72015

The doctor I went to is a GP, but she also does gyno exams. I feel like I may just be allergic or sensitive to my detergent or something because I'm not having any strange discharge. it's only the itching, and it only happens when I'm wearing tight clothing. Since though I had the whiff test, perhaps it was indeed yeast.

I could potentially make it to my GP early next week, but I'll have to see. I'll probably forgo the clinic then. Would you recommend me use an OTC treatment or not?

Heather
Member # 3

I'd really want to see what someone who gave you an exam said, but I'd be very clear with them about the treatments you have already used, and ask about alternatives, since it sounds like those perhaps aren't working well for you.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Roxie102
Peer Ambassador
Member # 72015

Both times she gave me a single dose of diflucan. The time I called in, she said to take the pill and then try monistat 7 if the pill didn't work. I ended up not using the monistat, so now I have it on hand. Should I go ahead and try it?
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say you shouldn't try using monistat until you've talked to a GP, so that you're sure it's a yeast infection and not something else, and the GP might have some other alternatives they want you try instead.

They may even suggest you try the monistat as an alternative, because for some people it does indeed work while prescribed yeast infection treatment doesn't work so well for them, but as I said, you may want to wait until after consulting your GP, just in case.

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roxie102
Peer Ambassador
Member # 72015

The only thing is that I won't be able to see her till sometime next week, that's why I was wondering.
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a local health clinic you could visit to talk to a doctor/get an exam sooner? If you need help finding one, we could lend a hand.
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.