Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » A Small Rip

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Small Rip
polkadots92
Neophyte
Member # 96514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polkadots92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boyfriend and I were having sex last week (genital intercourse) and in the process I shifted my body slightly and I felt a small but sharp pain. I didn't think anything of it and we continued to have sex. When we finished, my boyfriend commented that I was bleeding. I had bled slightly on his bed and when I went to the bathroom, I continued to bleed for about 5 min before it stopped. Using a mirror, I could see that there was a tear or rip at the base of the opening of my vagina. The week went on and I did not experience any pain or discomfort. So last night, exactly one week after the incident, my boyfriend and I tried to have sex again. It was fine at first, but when we started to move, it began to sting and we immediately stopped. There was a small amount of blood but it stopped right away. I talked to my mom and she suggested that I make an appointment with my doctor. I know that Scarleteen cannot give me a definite answer, but I'm just looking for some peace of mind until I get my appointment. Could it heal on its own? Will it have an affect on my sex life? Thank you.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Leslie,

Vaginal tears can heal on their own, but they need time to do so on their own, time without sexual activity. That said, it's a good idea to have a doctor look at it, toget a medical opinion and make sure there's no infection starting.

Based on what you've described, there's no reason to think that once this heals it will have any permanent impact on you, sexually or otherwise.

So, yes, do make an appointment with your doctor, but no, you don't have to panic about this.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polkadots92
Neophyte
Member # 96514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polkadots92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok thank you, that makes me feel better.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're most welcome.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.