Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » is my gf pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: is my gf pregnant?
i'vegotaquestion
Neophyte
Member # 96615

Icon 4 posted      Profile for i'vegotaquestion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend has been on the pill for 3 years. She normally skips the placebos to avoid her period. To coordinate our schedules, she stopped taking the pill half way through the pack and got her period the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th of the month. We have been having sex and figured that she should indeed have a period as a sort of pregnancy check... just in case. But then instead of starting a new pack, she continued using the pack that was half finished and was therefore supposed to get her period again only a week and a half later. She only got some light bleeding and spotting over a day and a half, when it normally lasts her 4. We are concerned she could be pregnant, but it seems more likely that the lighter/lack of period was caused by the irregular pill schedule. Is there someone out there that knows?

--------------------
thanks

Posts: 1 | From: ny | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to make sure I understand correctly: your partner stopped in the middle of a pack to induce a period, and then started the pack back up?

The pill can only work if it is taken as directed. To have full protection, you need to take all of the active pills in a pack. So if your partner did indeed stop halfway through, she took the pill incorrectly and her protection from the pill was compromised.

Taking the pill this erratically can also throw cycles out of whack, so I'd not say that the missing bleed now is necessarily a sign of pregnancy. But she did have a pregnancy risk if you have been having sex without any other method of protection (such as condoms).

To make sure, you will want to take a pregnancy test at 14 days after the risk to find out for sure.

Your girlfriend will also want to make sure to take the pill according to the directions from now on. They should be detailed on the instructions that come with her pill packet, and if she is not sure, she can also call her gynecologist. She should most certainly call her gynecologist before trying any more experiments.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.