Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Really confused

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Really confused
Ariel89
Neophyte
Member # 95444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariel89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys, I'm so sorry to bug you again after my last post. But I'm really going through something now and I don't know what my next course of action should be.

So basically, I had my last menstrual period on 22nd June. My bf and I had protected sex (condom +withdrawal method) on 4th July. As mentioned before, my cycle is usually 37 days at the most. I didn't worry about the sex initially as it was protected and we checked the condom for splits (I think), except that I started to have some dark brown discharge that has a slight red tinge to it, its definitely much much lighter than a normal period. This started on around 12 July and ended around the 16th. I didn't worry too much about it either except that it could be implantation bleeding.

So according to my cycle, I expected my period to come around 28 or 29th July. My boobs also began to hurt and all. I thought this was normal for my period.

Unfortunately, my period didn't come at all. I was delayed for a week or so and I took a home pregnancy test on 2 August. It turned out negative so I thought I'll just wait for my period.

It still hasn't come, so I visited a gynae on 8 August. He did an ultrasound scan and told me he couldn't see a pregnancy sac or something yet, and thought it might be hormonal imbalance, so he gave me a Progesterone shot to supposedly induce my period which would come in the next 3 - 5 days.

I thought it was ok, but the gynae also mentioned that it may be too early to detect pregnancy via the ultrasound until 5 weeks or something. And I can only wait for the period since he gave me the injection. If it comes, good for me. If it doesn't in two weeks, I should see him again. He also mentioned that it could be an unhealthy pregnancy which he cannot detect on the ultrasound.

I'm really confused with all this information, and I'm just really puzzled and frustrated as to why my period is not coming. I don't feel any pregnancy symptoms, except for the tender boobs and some cramps.. But the lack of period is making me really frustrated and worried that I'm pregnant but the gynae can't tell yet. What should I do? Its already been two weeks since my period was supposed to come! I'm really panicky and I can't be assured at all. It has been 3 days since I got the shot and still no sign of my period. I'm honestly giving up hope that it will come. and I'm dying here.

My period has been coming every month, and I don't remember a delay for so long. Whats going on? Am I pregnant?

What should I do, really? Seek a second opinion? Take another pregnancy test on my own? I thought HPTs would be accurate from the day the period is missed. But if I'm not pregnant, where's my period?? [Frown] I'm so sorry for the lengthy post, but I would really appreciate some advice. I'm at my wits' end! [Frown] [Frown]

Posts: 25 | From: Singapore | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Periods are sometimes missed or skipped when people are not pregnant. And yes, an HPT will give you results you can rely on now.

I'm not sure why the GYN made the choices he did either, nor why he didn't tell you that periods can be late or missed for a million reasons, including because of behaviour changes we tend to engage in when we're under stress, like worried about a pregnancy.

I'd simply take an HPT and go by the results right now. I'd also try to do whatever you can to just chill out a bit.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67075 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ariel89
Neophyte
Member # 95444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariel89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand where youre coming from.. and my boyfriend totally thinks i should chill as well. I just have so many unanswered questions no one can answer.. and the gynae wasnt too helpful either. If you can help me with them i will really try to chill out.

Firstly, my boobs have been hurting for a while now.. but no period. For like three to four weeks. If it were a missed or skipped period, should they still be hurting? Otherwise i just keep thinking its a pregnancy symptom.

Secondly, how exactly can progesterone shot induce bleeding? It feels like im waiting for something thats never gonna come.

Third, should i take another hpt now or just wait for the supposed induced period first? The gynae did mention that stress can change my period cycle and all but he wasnt too specific. I just thought its weird since my cycles have been almost regular..

And finally.. after all the testing.. should i even be worried about being pregnant right now? After the first hpt and the ultrasound i mean.. is it safe to say im less likely to be pregnant despite the lack of a period? Would the scan have showed anything if i was pregnant?

I appreciate the answers and advice.. it really helps to be able to talk about it somewhere.. when no one really cares right now. Thank you.

Posts: 25 | From: Singapore | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi There,

There are all kinds of hormonal changes that go on wh whether we get a period on time or not, so yes having your breasts hurt continuously for several weeks isn't all that unusual. I can tell you, as someone who misses or has late periods fairly regularly, that all the other premenstrual symptoms can still go on for many weeks even though there's no period.

It sounds as if taking another HPT right now might be one of the things that will help you chill out. What do you think?

Have you seen these two articles about periods? I think they might be helpful and reassuring to you.

On the Rag: A Guide to Menstruation

M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ariel89
Neophyte
Member # 95444

Oh ok. I just read the article.. They helped a bit, thanks! Of course the hormones and all still confuses me.. Now I really don't know why I was given a progesterone shot to induce my period. Will this shot affect the results of the hpt?

If I take another hpt now and it turns out negative.. Can I be more or less sure I'm not pregnant and I'm just experiencing a weird cycle? is it possible to be regular and then suddenly get a weird cycle?

Should I be trusting the gynae? He seems to know a lot but yet he seems pretty cavalier about my case and that worries me. Especially if I go back to him in a couple of weeks and turns out I'm pregnant after all.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am surprised that your doctor didn't give you a pregnancy test as well as an ultrasound. Much of his response seems odd.

Are you familiar with our Pregnancy Scared?
article? I think you'll find the information you need in terms of when to test to get an accurate result if there is a pregnancy concern.

And yes, it's absolutely possible to have a regular cycle then to have it suddenly be different.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ariel89
Neophyte
Member # 95444

Yeah I read the article many many times.. In fact I always come to this site everytime I need some assurance, so thank you for setting this up. Im just at a loss this time cos it seems like I did everything I could to find out if I'm pregnant and there's no answer anywhere.

I'm not sure why he didn't.. Maybe because I mentioned that i took a hpt on my own a few days before I visited him? Is the shot supposed to help really?

I'll take another hpt in a couple of days.. If that's what it takes to get an answer. It just sucks living everyday not knowing and in fear. All my friends are getting their periods and Im insanely jealous yet there's nothing I can do about it. Would you be able to just tell me if my chances of being pregnant is high in the first place?

Ariel89
Neophyte
Member # 95444

I think the reason I'm so paranoid this time is because I read the articles and they mentioned that the most reliable symptom of pregnancy is a missed period. You mentioned that you have irregular cycles, isn't it unnerving for you when your period doesn't come when expected?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

HI There,

Right now we're asking people to assess their oww pregnancy rissks. This link explains why and gives you the tools for doing so:
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/28/t/007116.html

What I will say is that taking an HPT will give you an accurate result you can trust.

--------------------
Robin

Ariel89
Neophyte
Member # 95444

Hey, my boyfriend insists I should take a hpt tmr morning after I told him what you guys said. Before I do.. I just want to ask a couple more questions and I'll be out of your hair I promise..

First, if I want to use early morning urine (to be absolutely accurate), is it ok if I collect the urine in a container and test it a while later? Maybe within the hour or something? Will leaving the urine out for a while affect the reading?

Second, if it does turn out negative, and I hope it does.. I can be sure I'm not pregnant and just wait for my period to come without having to worry anymore?

And third, the hormone shot given by the gynae will not affect the test right? I asked this before but I didn't get a reply though. Not sure if you can help me.

Thank you very much.. If it does turn out to be positive.. I guess I have to deal with it as its my fault I let this happen. Once again, thank you for all your replies.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Early morning urine is not necessary for a pregnancy test to be accurate unless the instructions on the package specifically say to use it then. I don't know whether it's okay to store the urine for a while, but again, I'd suggest folloowing the instructions on the package to be sure you're using the test properly.

NO, the hormone shot you were given will not affect the results of the test. Pregnancy tests test for the presence of a hormone called HCG which is only present when someone is pregnant.

If it does turn out that the test is positive, we can help you figure out your options if you'd like help with that. First step though is to take the pregnancy test.

And yes, after this amount of time you can rely on the result of the test.

--------------------
Robin

Ariel89
Neophyte
Member # 95444

Hey, so here's the thing. I wanted to take a HPT today morning but I started bleeding when I woke up. I didn't take the test as I'm hoping this is my period and not some random bleeding. This bleeding should be my period right?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Unless you're prone to getting random bleeding, I'd say it's safe to say this is your period! [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Ariel89
Neophyte
Member # 95444

thank you! i just wanted to make sure its not some bad pregnancy or something. whew this is such a relief and such a load off my mind!

thank you very much for all the responses! much appreciated!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.