Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » risks of receiving analingus?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: risks of receiving analingus?
audreytoo
Activist
Member # 58116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for audreytoo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are the health risks associated with having one's anal area licked?
Posts: 73 | From: U.S. | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Analingus presents risks of the STIs listed in this link under Oral Sex: STI Risk Assessment, as well as bacterial infection risks.

These risks can be reduced by adding lubricant from a bottle - which can be bought from chemists and drug stores, and the placing a piece of saran wrap over the lubricant, and then held in place by one of you. The piece of wrap needs to completely cover the anus. Some people find that putting a mark on one side with a pen helps avoid confusion over which side is the licking side and which side goes against the anus if the barrier accidently gets flipped around.

If you don't have any saran wrap, instead you can use a dental dam in the same way as saran wrap, with a lubricant. Dental dams are thin squares of latex used by holding in place over the anus. You can also make a dam with a condom – latex or nonlatex – and a pair of scissors: just cut across the condom from base to tip. If you take a latex glove and cut the fingers off, then cut across the back (non-thumb) edge, that's another way to make a dam: you can put a tongue in the thumb hole if that works best for you. [Smile]

Remember that anal tissue is more delicate than vulvar tissue, so it's best that partners are mindful and gentle with anuses. It might be a good idea to keep a tube of 100% Aloe Vera oil on standby if any soreness occurs, as soreness can increase risks, whereas Aloe Vera helps heal skin.

[ 08-04-2012, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Rei ]

--------------------
~ Saffy
Scarleteen Volunteer

To my Abuser: I'm seeing stars. I bet you can't do that.

Posts: 1265 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
audreytoo
Activist
Member # 58116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for audreytoo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the risks are the same for giver and receiver? That doesn't make sense to me! Seems each partner would be exposed to different things.
Posts: 73 | From: U.S. | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The risks range form being about the same for both people engaging in analingus, to higher for the person who's anus is involved.

However, even if they didn't; protecting partners is as important as protecting ourselves, as ideally, all sexual experiences should be equal. This means all partners are kept safe, comfortable and enjoying themselves (which is why we don't really use terms like 'the giver' and 'the receiver' at Scarleteen - ideally all partners will feel like they're all both giving and receiving pleasure, no matter what sexual activity they're doing), and protection being used - unless a six month period of sexual exclusivity has occured and all partners have had a full pannel of clear STI test results.

[ 08-05-2012, 04:16 AM: Message edited by: Rei ]

Posts: 1265 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
audreytoo
Activist
Member # 58116

Hi Rei, I'm doing this in the context of sex work so your last paragraph doesn't really make sense for my circumstances. Clients request unprotected activities, and I have to look after my own safety before theirs.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just passing through quickly before I bug out for real for the day, audreytoo, but to try and directly address your initial question and only that one, your primary risk as the person whose anus is being licked is going to be herpes or hepatitis acquisition, with a much smaller risk of HPV.

That said, need to just remind that our registration guidelines make clear that we can't talk to users about illegal activity they are engaging in or expressing intent to engage in, both to cover our butts (I really didn't intend a pun, I swear) and the users, in this case yours.

So, unless you're talking about sex work in Nevada here in the states, this just isn't a context of a conversation we can have within our policies. I'd suggest one of the SWOP forums for questions specifically about doing sex work, moving forward. Of course, you can also always get a second opinion from your sexual healthcare provider, and could without mentioning it's about sex work, if you're not comfortable sharing that.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67049 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
audreytoo
Activist
Member # 58116

Thanks Heather that is helpful.

I found the SWOP website, but cannot see any forums for people to ask questions...where is that?

Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

(Sorry about that, AudreyToo, you're quite right).

[ 08-09-2012, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: Rei ]

--------------------
~ Saffy
Scarleteen Volunteer

Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Hello again, I found a forum - it's not SWOP, but - though it can't be posted here. So if you'd like that, you can email me so I have you email address, I can send the link that way. That email is raeATscarleteenDOTcom.

--------------------
~ Saffy
Scarleteen Volunteer

audreytoo
Activist
Member # 58116

Hi Rei, I emailed you!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.