Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » a few pill questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a few pill questions
pamplemousse
Neophyte
Member # 96224

Icon 9 posted      Profile for pamplemousse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to thank you all for providing such great information! I'm so sorry for rehashing the same situations, but I keep thinking of slightly new concerns/questions and I can't shake the paranoia of pregnancy.

My last period began on July 15th (a Sunday) and lasted through the 19th (Thursday). I began the pill (Tri-Sprintec) on Sunday the 22nd, so there were essentially three days of non-bleeding in between my period and the first day of my pack. I know that this is not the ideal way to begin a cycle of pills, but it was the only option I had. Anyway, I had sex multiple times August 3-5. We used condoms perfectly. There was brief genital contact in one instance, but I don't believe he got close to my actual vaginal opening, and there was no semen. I even took Plan B one-step several hours after the final time we had sex. I'm still SO worried about those three days in between my period and the start of my pill pack.

Actual questions:

1. If the ENTIRE, long process of ovulation began in those three days right after my period, does that mean it's like a runaway train and the 12 pills I took in between had NO way of stopping the process? Or would the hormones be able to inhibit the ovulation process in its later stages once I'd begun the pill? I'm very unclear on this, and it's the MAIN source of my anxiety right now.

2. My first ever placebo week begins on Sunday. Should I expect my withdrawal bleed no matter WHAT, or is it highly possible that since my body will still be adjusting to the pill, I could skip a withdrawal bleed altogether? If I skip it, I know that I should just begin my next pack on time anyway, correct?

I'm so sorry to be so specific, but I cannot shake these concerns. I keep telling myself that with three methods of birth control, even if the pill was not FULLY effective yet, I have very little to worry about, but I feel constantly on edge, paralyzed, and unable to focus on anything else. As always, thank you for your help!

Posts: 25 | From: Florida/Indiana | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. No, it's not like a runaway train in that respect, which is why a medication like Plan B can work. And, just like Plan B, remember that oral contraceptives work in more than just one way: suppressing ovulation is only one of three ways they work to prevent pregnancy. They also work by changing the environment of the vagina and thinning the uterine lining, and all of those things -- not just one -- have to do with pregnancy and its prevention. Make sense?

IF someone starts the pill on day one of a menstrual cycle, or by the first Sunday after, then they will often have immediate protection and full effectiveness in that first cycle if they take all their pills properly. If someone starts at other times, they will need to use a backup method through that first cycle.

Either way, you were using other methods, regardless.

2. When people first start the pill, it often takes a few cycles for their bodies to fully adjust, and for cycles to sync up with it. So, it's entirely possible you may not have a withdrawal bleed during your first placebo week. And yes, even if you don't, you should continue taking your pills as scheduled.

That cover all that for you?

Plus, the pill is designed

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamplemousse
Neophyte
Member # 96224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamplemousse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much, Heather! I know I'm being ridiculous. But I keep thinking how little statistics matter if you're the tiny little tenth-of-a-decimal-place exception. So if I don't have my withdrawal bleed and continue on to the next pack, it won't hurt me in any way to just completely skip bleeding this month?
Posts: 25 | From: Florida/Indiana | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it won't.

Remember that once you're on the pill, most of why any flow even happens is because of your body withdrawing from the active pills: your normal menstrual cycle is effectively changed, or put on hold, if that makes more sense to you, while you're using a combination pill.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.