Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Yeast?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yeast?
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dorey56         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry if this is tmi but I have a question about a yeast infection. I know you can't diagnose online and all, but because I can't make it to a doctor (unless it's an absolute emergency) for about a week, I was wondering if you could clear this up for me. I had vaginal itching and an odor 2 days ago that itched quite a bit but wasn't so bad that it distracted me from every day activities or anything it was just annoying. It got even milder yesterday itching wise and the odor was gone. And today I have barely any itching at all to a point where I can't even really notice it. I have no discharge either. And no pain. Would a yeast infection cause this? I'm asking because I didn't think yeast infections had odors and I didn't think they cleared up on their own, at least not so fast. So ultimately I'd just like to know if this is likely a yeast infection? Or just something milder such as vulvitis?
Posts: 421 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeast infections can have odours--they often smell yeasty. However, they are usually accompanied by discharge.

Whatever the problem is, if it's clearing up on its own that is a good sign.

If your symptoms do get worse or recur visiting the doctor is a good idea.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

I see. Thanks. Hate to be dumb but what does a yeasty smell smell like? And since it feels and seems to be better can I assume it's not a yeast infection and not worry about the doctor?
Posts: 421 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the full lowdown on yeast infections.

[b]Yeast Infections

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Thanks I just read it and it have some good info. Although I guess now that I think about it, random itching like this happens to me every once in awhile. I'll have itching and maybe an odor(but that goes away fast) for a day or two then it'll be gone. Would that be indicative of the recurrent east infections that article mentions? Or do you think my vulva is just irritated from time to time? I'm not sure if this rules out yeast or no, but ie never had itching right in my vagina or around the opening, it's usually right inside my vilva near the clitoris. Thanks again.
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey dorey. It could be that you were having a recurrent yeast infection that would pop up mildly every once in a while, or it could also have been that your vulva was irritated by something else. Either option is possible and it's hard for us to know which one it is.

What you could do when you have several of these sporadic irritations again is to go and explain the situation to your doctor who can do a test to see if there are trace amounts of yeast. That way you will know what medication to take to make it go away for good.

[ 07-30-2012, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Okay I can do that thanks. And I'm sorry for continuing to post, but since you're saying I could possibly have a bunch of recurrent yeast infections, if they're so mild, is this something serious to look into with my doctor ASAP? It's never been much of a bother or anything that needed medicine so I never thought much of it but now that you're saying this, do I need to be concerned about maybe having an std or weakened immune system that causes them to come a lot? Or is it honestly unlikely that I have constant mild yeast infections, but it's more likely just vulvar irritation?
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's something to be overly concerned about, but it is something that you probably should check in about, since having yeast infections isn't exactly the greatest thing [Razz] Not just in terms of comfort but also for your body's well-being.

It often means that something is up -- it COULD be that you have an STI that is causing recurring yeast infections (have you used condoms for any sexuality and got regular STI testing? If so and you come up negative for any STIs, then this obviously isn't the cause), but it could also be something to do with diet, and also the birth control pill/certain brands of birth control pill can cause recurring yeast infections for some people.

So checking in with your doctor means you'll be able to figure out what is causing it, and stop it from happening.

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

I see. And I guess I'm just looking for a more definitive answer based on symptoms. Thanks.
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

I'm afraid we can't give you a definitive answer, only a doctor who can see you in person will be able to give you a definitive answer. That's why we recommend getting an appointment with one whenever something's going on with your body that you're not sure about [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.