Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth control makes my breast grow larger. I don't want them to. What are my options?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control makes my breast grow larger. I don't want them to. What are my options?
Alanna_Pierce
Neophyte
Member # 96276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alanna_Pierce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a 20 year old female, in a nearly 2 year relationship with my first boyfriend. I have started taking a combination birth control pill (Microgestin). I've been on them for only 2 weeks. So far I've had absolutely no side effects, except for the birth control causing my breasts to grow. I am 5 feet and 3 inches and 120 pounds. My breasts are already fairly large for someone my size (34 DD). I would really hate for them to grow larger.

What are my options? Would changing pills help? Is there a type of birth control that would not make my breasts grow (i.e. IUD, Implanon, Depo-Vera, etc)? If so, what kind? Should I just stick with this particular pill and be content that I am not experiencing any other side effects? Should I contact my doctor immediately or just wait and see if my breasts will stop growing?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. [Smile]

Posts: 1 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can take the body a while to adjust to the new hormones, so we usually recommend waiting out those first two or three months before making a decision to change pill brands, as many side-effects go away after that time.

If you do not want to wait that long or if, after that time, you still want to change your pill, you can contact your doctor and talk to them about switching.

It can be difficult to make predictions about which side-effects someone will experience on hormonal birth control, so a lot of the time finding the right pill is a matter of trial and error. But your doctor has your medical history, and together with your reaction to this pill, they will have some information to go on in terms of what other hormonal contraceptives are an option for you.

You will also want to keep in mind that at 20, you are not completely done with puberty yet, and any breast growth you are experiencing may well also just be a part of your natural development and have nothing to do with the pill.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Female Person
Neophyte
Member # 46961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Female Person     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The same thing happened to me when I got on the pill. I'm about the same size as you, too. My boobs seem to have stopped growing for now, after I've been taking the pill for about 4 months. It kinda sucks, but I'm not sure if it was from the pill, or if it was going to happen anyway, haha.

I don't know if this helps at all, but Nordstrom carries a good range of bra sizes (and usually has some good fitters). I went up two cup sizes from a 32D, and in my frantic search for new bras discovered I'm actually a 30F or a 28FF (depending on the brand). It's kind of a strange size, but having a bra that fits really helped me feel more confident about my boobs.

I hope everything works out!

Posts: 17 | From: Oregon | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.