Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Quick Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quick Question
Activist
Member # 95903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98217509812347         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys, I just have a quick question about pregnancy tests. I know you recommend taking the tests 14 days after intercourse, but what is that number based on? Is that based on the time it takes for implantation to occur?
Posts: 70 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Take a look at the article below. It explains exactly what happens from the time an egg and sperm are both released, to when they meet, to after they meet. I think that will make it clearer. [Smile]

Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 95903

Thank you that did help! So just to clarify, if implantation bleeding occured, and then a pregnancy test was taken 6-7 days later, would that test be accurate?
Posts: 70 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 95903

And by accurate, I mean the 99% accuracy of a normal pregnancy test.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since it's often hard to know what the cause of any vaginal bleeding is, I'm still more inclined to say that it's safer to measure time in terms of when the sexual activity that could have led to pregnancy occurred. Does that make sense?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 95903

Yes I understand. I know you can never really know for sure, but hypothetically speaking, if one did know for sure that it was implantation bleeding, and a test was taken 6-7 days later, would it be accurate?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Since that timing would most likely put one in the after-14-days-after-sexual activity time bracket necessary for positive pregnancy test results, then yes, what you're describing would yield an accurate test result.

Again, though, it's really very near to impossible to know that a certain bout of bleeding was implantation bleeding unless one gets a positive pregnancy test result then works backwards to figure out the timing.

--------------------
Robin

Activist
Member # 95903

Gotcha, but just out of curiosity, what if it was 6-7 days after implantation bleeding, but before 14 days, say it was 12 or 13 days after intercourse, would it be safe to say that would yield an accurate result because it was after implantation bleeding and close enough to the 14 days?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

In that case, I would suggest a retest.

Are you by any chance asking about the concerns you've expressed before about your girlfriend being pregnant?

--------------------
Robin

Activist
Member # 95903

I'm just trying to understand better how accurate a test like that would've been
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Well, as we've talked about here before, a test can be considered accurate 14 or more days after the sexual activity in question, or when a period is late.

Alternatively, if someone gets there period when they expect to get it, we can also be pretty sure someone is not pregnant.

--------------------
Robin

Activist
Member # 95903

Which, in your opinion, is a stronger sign: getting an expected period 3 times in a row, or a negative pregnancy test 14 days or later?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some pregnant people, a test 14 days after a risk will be too soon: not everyone's body produces hCg in detectable amounts that soon.

But three regular periods in a row makes very clear someone is not pregnant, and a person can always wait to test a little longer or retest if that's not good enough for them.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 95903

Ok thanks! So what about a pregnancy test taken like a week after a period, would that or 3 periods in a row be a better sign of someone not being pregnant? I guess what I'm asking is I know pregnancy tests when taken right are 99% accurate, would having 3 periods be better or worse than that 99% accuracy?

Thanks again for all of yor guys help and patience.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Having three periods in a row is a truly accurate indication that someone isn't pregnant. After three months, or however long it takes any individual to have three periods, a person would also know whether they were pregnant or not, or at the very least whether they had serious physical changes in their body that needed to be addressed.

In sum, in the situation you describe, the timing of the pregnancy test is much less significant than the fact that there have been three periods since then.

--------------------
Robin

Activist
Member # 95903

So is that just in my personal situation? Or in general would getting several periods in a row be a slightly more accurate sign that someone isn't pregnant than a pregnancy test, even taken at the right time?
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A pregnancy test, taken properly and at the right time, tells a person if their body is producing a hormone SPECIFIC to -- and which ONLY occurs with -- pregnancy. So, it doesn't get more accurate than that.

Having periods isn't really something we can compare this way, because periods aren't a test and don't measure for that hormone. So, this either/or between them isn't something I feel is sound to get stuck on.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 95903

Ok, but nonetheless, three periods would still be an extremely strong sign, almost a positive sign, that someone isn't pregnant, even if no test was ever taken, correct?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Yes, it would be.

I am concerned, because we have discussed this several times, going over the same information, and it doesn't appear to be easing your anxiety.

I'm not sure what would be helpful to you at this point. What do you think would be helpful, aside from your girlfriend taking another test, which you have said she doesn't want to do?

--------------------
Robin

Activist
Member # 95903

That's the thing, other than that I can't really think of anything.... I also have one other question, someone on here told me before that decidual bleeding doesn't always happen at the time of a regular period, that it's totally random when it happens. I haven't read or heard that anywhere else, is that true? That decidual bleeding happens at totally random times?
Heather
Member # 3

Decidual bleeding rarely happens, period. And honestly, it's something you hear more of in internet scare tales than you ever hear even working in women's health clinics.

Can we address why you feel hung up on this?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Activist
Member # 95903

Yes I would like to, but also first could you clarify if decidual bleeding is random, or if when it does happen, it happens when an expected period would come?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

I think we've talked about that before. It's generally random; if it comes at the same time as a period has, that's just a coincidence, and is unlikely to happen 3 times in a row.

--------------------
Robin

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

I do very strongly suspect though that repeating this information isn't very helpful to you in the long run.

I'm wondering why something which is relatively rare--decidual bleeding--is something that you're focussing on, rather than your girlfriend's awareness that she is not pregnant, or the information we have given you?

If this sounds harsh, I apologize; it just seems as if, for your own sake, and for the sake of your relationship, it's pretty important for you to be able to work through this anxiety.

--------------------
Robin

Activist
Member # 95903

I would like to work through the anxiety too, and sometimes just hearing clarification on a topic helps me, such as the possible randomness or not of decidual bleeding, because I'm not sure if it's scheduled like a period, or random..
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

It really is random.

If it would help you to read more information about it, you could look online. You'll want to make sure that you're looking at reputable sites with accurate, up-to-date information, of course.

Some US based sites you might find helpful are the sites for the National Institutes of Health or the Mayo Clinic.

--------------------
Robin

Heather
Member # 3

It also sounds like you have the idea that periods are on a strict schedule, too, and they're often really not. It's very common for periods to deviate by a few days -- and far more with younger women sometimes -- to differ in amount of flow, type, and for how long flow happens.

But for someone who has a period that's been fairly consistent, they know what their period feels like. And to boot, someone having 4-7 days of period-type flow is not usually going to be someone able to sustain a pregnancy, regardless.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Activist
Member # 95903

Thank you for your help. I know almost everything is pointing towards her not being pregnant, but for some reason I can't get the thought out of my mind. And then I think that if I can't get this thought out of my mind, maybe that's a sign that she is pregnant?
Heather
Member # 3

Unless you're suggesting you're some kind of magical reproductive system psychic (the Uterus Whisperer! [Razz] ), I don't think that likely has anything to do with you staying hung up on this.

What's much more likely is that you are having anxiety about this, and REALLY don't want a pregnancy to be something you experience or have to deal with anytime soon.

So, how about you reevaluate if engaging in intercourse is the right thing for you right now? And if you think it is something you can handle, what about reevaluating your birth control plan? For instance, are you using two reliable methods, like a pill or ring and condom? If not, why not talk about doing that?

[ 07-20-2012, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Activist
Member # 95903

haha, good point. And I don't think I am going to have intercourse for a little while. Also, we did use two methods. We used the pill, however she does occasionally miss one, and we used a condom, but we did keep going for a little after I ejaculated. However, the condom didn't slip or break...
Heather
Member # 3

So, sounds to me like you're just not ready for this jelly yet. And you know, that's okay. The trick is just to recognize it and make different choices. It'll all be a lot more fun when you feel more relaxed about this, anyway. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Activist
Member # 95903

Agreed. I guess it was a little crazy to worry about it anyways with the two methods. Even though we kept going after ejaculation, the condom didn't slip or break, so that would have 98% effectiveness and the pill would still have decent effectiveness even though she misses one occasionally, right?
Heather
Member # 3

I'd not call it crazy. I'd simply say it's an excellent indication of that kind of sex -- for whatever reason -- clearly not being the right choice for you right now, that's all (if you already know how BC works, that it does, etc.).

I really think that we're not going to be able to logic these pervasive fears away of yours if you have already read all the info we have on contraception, the methods you are using, and pregnancy. I think what's going to change how you feel is simply making choices in better alignment with what you're ready to handle right now.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.