Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » A few questions about birth control and condoms!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A few questions about birth control and condoms!
soccer06
Activist
Member # 92108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccer06         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Just a few last questions about condoms and birth control...

1) What is the most effective/reliable brand to use? I've heard Trojan before...

2)Do the different types of condoms (fire and ice, ribbed, ultra thin) make any of them less effective? I've heard the onles with spermicide in them actually make the condom less effective.

3)Is there any way for the sperm/precum to travel up the sides of the condom and squish out of the top?

4) How do I know if I have enough lubricant? Or if there is lube on the condom, is that enough?

5) Is it more likely for the condom to break the first time you have sex becasue you're "tighter"?

I've read a lot about the pages about condoms you've given me in the past, but if there's any last minute advice...it's going to be my first time probably sometime soon, so i'd love to have the most information possible!

Right now, i'm currently taking my birth control pill (i've been almost 3 hours late once), but otherwise taking them every day (haven't missed one) and will normally take them at 10PM or about an hour on either side if I can't at the moment. I'm planning on using condoms and also the withdrawal method as well (he will be making sure to hold the base and withdrawl a good amount of time before he ejaculates).

Thanks so much!

Posts: 140 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) There isn't one. How effective condoms are is really mostly about if people use them consistently and correctly, including storing them properly. But, Consumer reports does a review of US condom brands around once a year, so if you Google that ("Consumer reports" condoms) you can see how they've rated different brands and styles.

2) Spermicidal condoms are not less effective, but they're also no more effective than those without. Novelty brands or styles with ribs and such also aren't less effective, though condoms with additives like numbing agents can irritate some people's bodies.

3) Only if the condom breaks.

4) Usually, just for comfort of both parties, you'll want more lube than the smidge on a condom. A few drops inside the condom before it goes on, then enough on your vulva as feels good. Then, if during sex, you feel at all dry or things don't feel like they're slippery enough, you add more.

5) The idea that someone who hasn't had intercourse vs/. someone who has is "tighter" is totally false. So, not only does that have nothing to do with condom effectiveness, that's not a real thing in the first place. Intercourse doesn't "loosen" the vaginal opening.

Just FYI, three methods of birth control earnestly is more than anyone needs and isn't likely to be any more effective than two, especially when one of those methods is much less effective than the others. So, y'all can obviously do what you want, but a pill and condoms all by themselves, used properly, are nearly 100% effective, and adding withdrawal really doesn't add effectiveness.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.