Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Nuvaring left out, best method of backup birth control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nuvaring left out, best method of backup birth control
Lynneee2012
Neophyte
Member # 95896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynneee2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently left my nuva ring out for ten hours (overnight) accidentally during the second week of my cycle. I know that the effectiveness of it is now probably compromised until I have reinserted it for another 7 days.

My question is, what is the best form of OTC birth control that I can use in the mean time? I was planning on using Spermicide & Condoms & Withdrawl. How effective would that be? I'm concerned because I've heard certain spermicide can break down condoms, what would be the best type to use? Thank you so much for any advice anyone can offer me.

Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Lynneee2012,

Generally speaking, it's usually only necessary to use two birth control methods at one time, as three are usually redundant. For example, if you used condoms and withdrawal, applying spermicide would be unnecessary as you've already used two methods to ensure that semen did not come in contact with the vagina. However, using more methods doesn't usually do harm.

Here is some more information about
Spermicides
and some information on the effectiveness rates for combining birth two control methods (Male Condoms + Withdrawal = 99.92% effective with perfect use - 95.95% effective with typical use; Male Condoms + Spermicide = 99.64% effective with perfect use - 95.65% effective with typical use):
The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynneee2012
Neophyte
Member # 95896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynneee2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another question: Is it safe to use nonoxyl 9 spermicide with condoms? I've heard from a few people that it is not. I read the page on spermicide and I am still confused.
Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh, yes, it's safe to use it with condoms. The problem with that particular ingredient is that it's not altogether safe for the body. It has also been shown to increase the chances of contracting certain STIs by irritating the vaginal tissues, which in turn can create small abbrasions which make it easier for bacteria or viruses to be transmitted.

So, when you've heard N9 and condoms spoken about, that's what people are talking about.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.