Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Couple of Questions on Contraceptive Options

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Couple of Questions on Contraceptive Options
sail
Neophyte
Member # 38289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) For the pill, if one pill is roughly 12 hours late how much of an issue is this? Also, is it better if the pill was late after unprotected sex or before unprotected sex.

2) I had an odd experience with a condom recently. I felt myself orgasm but after finishing I pulled out slowly and there was very little sperm in the condom (barely any there). I was worried it broke but checked it carefully so I am sure it didn't, the girl checked her vagina and couldn't find anything, so I am worried it may have spilt out the top and into her vagina? This sounds a bit unreasonable and I think I would have noticed it (the ring was still tight and the condom did not slip off), but is it plausible?

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 33 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi sail,

The combination pill, that is, the one with two hormones in it, does have some flexibility around taking it. It can be taken up to twelve hours late without being considered missed, though the ideal is to take it as close to the usual time as possible and not to make a habit of taking it that late. It's not that the pill must be taken at exactly the same time; a couple of hours either way isn't a problem, but twelve hours is pushing it.

It doesn't make any difference whether the pill was taken before or after sex. The entire cycle of pills works together, so while it's important to take them on time, the timing of each individual pill isn't as crucial. I hope this explanation makes sense.

YOu would have noticed if your condom broke. When they break, they really break, either shredding or splitting. Some ejaculations contain more fluid than others. For many people, if they've ejaculated recently, the next ejaculation may not contain as much fluid.

Also, to clarify, the fluid that comes out is called semen, or ejaculate, or any of the other slang names people use for it. Sperm are the microscopic cells in semen.

I hope this helps.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sail
Neophyte
Member # 38289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
Yeah that makes sense to me. But with the condom, I agree I could tell if it broke, but what about if it leaked out the bottom, then down into the vagina. Is this possible? The ring seemed pretty tight and I definitely didn't notice anything but maybe this wouldn't be a noticeable thing. Is that possible?

Thanks

Posts: 33 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, from what you described the condom fit as it is meant to. The only way I can think of that it would leak is if it came partially or fully off. If the ring was still snug around the base of the penis, then this did not happen.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.