Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Research

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Research
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dorey56         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. So ever since I learned oral sex can transmit HIV, I've done a lot of research on HIV to find out more I was unaware of. There's still one point I'm unclear on though about the transmission of the virus. Can HIV be transmitted outside the body? I understand it's not likely but can it happen? One incidence I read about was like this: if someone who has it gets a small amount of menstual blood on their hand and doesn't realize it, then later touches food that later others eat, could those others catch HIV? Thanks.
Posts: 421 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, that is not at all likely.

HIV is a virus which needs a direct route of transmission.

So, if a person got the blood of someone HIV positive on their hand and then they put their hand into their mouth, then that could transmit the virus, but not the kind of scenario you're thinking of.

Really, truly, you don't have to worry about these kinds of strange scenarios for disease transmission, and I'd say if you find you often are, your best bet is to talk to a mental healthcare provider. Being continually worried about becoming ill from some of the scenarios you've posted on the boards simply isn't sound and could obviously seriously get in the way of your quality of life.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67209 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IN addition to what Heather said, I'd also encourage you to make sure that the kinds of research you're doing is will yield sound and accurate information; places to trust would be reputable sexual education services and organizations, scientific journals, medical clinics, government materials. In the U.S., the National and titutes of Health and the Mayo Clinic both have extensive online medical information for consumers.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dorey56         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for your help. I'm not concerned about my own health status, just trying to understand for the future. And thanks robin, ive been looking at mostly government sites like CDC and others. However o do have another question now. in my first post about this I asked if I had a risk from licking my finger(if you remember exactly what happened) and you said I didn't have a risk. But in this you're saying if a person did lick HIV blood there would be a risk. How is that different from my first question about my possible risk? I'm sorry I'm not trying to cross boundaries but now I'm confused as to what the difference is.
Posts: 421 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

I'm really sorry but do you think you can clarify?
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dorey. Heather made it clear in your last post that she didn't think you had a risk because 1. it was almost definitely your own blood and 2. if you worked in an environment where contracting HIV was a risk, you would be required to wear latex gloves. If you knew that it was not your blood, that would be different. Okay? [Smile]
Posts: 1182 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Okay well I still don't see how if I'm unsure about who's blood it was, it would make a difference from the scenario posted above. But I won't cross any more boundaries and I'll leave this alone. Thanks.
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's always great practice to get fully tested regularly - whether we think or know we've had any STI risks or if we know for sure we've never had any. Routine STI Testing ideally needs to be a habbit every person - no matter what's happened to them or what kinds of sex they've had if any - picks up and does very often. It also prevents this level of worry. Does that make sense?

[ 06-28-2012, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Rei ]

--------------------
~ Saffy
Scarleteen Volunteer

To my Abuser: I'm seeing stars. I bet you can't do that.

Posts: 1265 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Yes that does. And I will be string tested next time I'm at the doctor but because you need to wait to get a conclusive result I asked in the first place if it's something I should worry about if that makes sense. And I swear I wouldn't have have questioned it again except my new post made it seem like maybe I had a reason to worry.
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you made a specific doctor's appointment to be fully STI tested?

If not, would you like to email me your zip code and I can look for a sexual health clinic in your area?

I understand you'll feel worried while waiting for the result, but, after that, once you've gotten into the habbit of regular testing, and start to use barriers as STI protection for the rest of your life - the worrying will largely be over, forever. Does that sound good?

--------------------
~ Saffy
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 1265 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

(If you did want to, you can email me your zip code at raeATscarleteenDOTcom).

--------------------
~ Saffy
Scarleteen Volunteer

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Oh thanks I really appreciate your offer but I actually looked them up and was going to make an appointment but realized I'm getting some other blood work done at my GP in a few weeks and was going to just request one then. But for this instance which I'm assuming you're tell ing me is still no risk? It will only be a month after that if it is a risk so can I trust that result?
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Ray?
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you talk to your GP about wanting the test, you can ask them if that is a good time to test or if you should wait longer.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Why wait a few weeks? You're worried now. The sooner you can be tested, the sooner you can have your results and start to feel better about this, as worrying won't help your health - testing will. The thing with testing is that one test never can cover all the possible risks before it, especially with infections like HPV which can lie dormant for as long as a decade or more. Instead, what we want to do is just start getting tested, then make a habit of yearly testing, no matter if we think we've had a risk or not.

If you're worried you won't be able to distract yourself enough while you wait for results, have you looking into rapid HIV testing? You can have your results in the same visit. Here's more on rapid HIV testing: http://aids.about.com/od/hivtesting/a/rapidhiv.htm

Remember though, if you choose rapid testing you also want to test for all the other STIs you can, per availability, as HIV is only one.

To answer your first question; It is possible it's too soon given the timeframe: sometimes HIV can go months undiagnosed or not show up on tests so soon. However, since the incubation period is around a month, it's likely that a test would be accurate now, but you'll want to do another test in a few months after, and then annually from then onwards.

How does all that sound? Would you like to talk out some of your fears with me, around testing?

You know I can't answer your second question, as we've set a limit on that. My answer (or anyone else's here) would be no different to what Heather told you in your threads about that issue, so I suggest you read back through those thraeds. However, the fact that you're even asking just stresses to me that it would best that you start regular STI testing right now - not in a few weeks - for your own emotional wellbeing and life confidence, as this is clearly getting in the way of you living a comfortable life.

--------------------
~ Saffy
Scarleteen Volunteer

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

First of all, let me tell you how much I appreciate your help, understanding, and patience. I want to make it as clear as I can that I is accept heathers answer in the previous post but only questioned it when something else came up that conflicted. Does that make sense? No boundaries are beig crossed but the proved to be quite confusing and I just wanted it sorted out that's all. And I know now that her first thought stands and therefore I don't see a need to test right away if I've had no risk there. Am I getting this right? I understand everyone should test annually no matter what, but if I have no reason to believe I contracted HIV, I don't see a need to run out and get tested right away. Am I missing something here or do I still need to go out and test ASAP?
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Onionpie already explained the difference here:

quote:
Originally posted by Onionpie:
Hi Dorey. Heather made it clear in your last post that she didn't think you had a risk because 1. it was almost definitely your own blood and 2. if you worked in an environment where contracting HIV was a risk, you would be required to wear latex gloves. If you knew that it was not your blood, that would be different. Okay? [Smile]

It's pretty unlikely it was someone else's blood, but if you aren't sure and are worried, then yes; a test is the only way to know, so yes - I'd test ASAP. Plus you've has other STI risks in the past, like with the oral sex, and haven't been tested (which ideally should have happened before any kind of sex). So, if you do by any chance have an STI, it's best to find out about it and get it treated as soon as you possibly can, and then test regularly from now on.

[ 06-29-2012, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Rei ]

--------------------
~ Saffy
Scarleteen Volunteer

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Well the past risks dot worry me based on what blood work I actually did have about a year ago which was over 6 months after my last risk. And because of this, and my non-risk with blood on the finger, maybe I'm just missing somethig here but do I still need this ASAP test? I'm not worried after I had my confusion on the risk cleared up so mental health - wise I'm fine as well so..
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Have you ever been fully tested for all STIs? If not, then I'd advise it as soon as; yes, regardless of risks.

[ 06-29-2012, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Rei ]

--------------------
~ Saffy
Scarleteen Volunteer

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Yes it was a full panel which I'm sure I agreed to but it was awhile ago and I didn't know id had any risks so didn't think of it. But I recently saw my chart. So because you've all said a bunch of times that this past incident with my finger was not a risk, I'm not seeing a reason to test after it if I didn't have a risk. I really appreciate your help, so much, and because of your help I'm feeling a lot better and if there's been no risk it seems a negative result is eminent and testing right now wouldn't be necessary? Unless I have a reason to do so.
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

No worries about the help. [Smile] And yes, you're right about everything there; you haven't had any risks, no. However, it has been a year since your last full pannel - which means it's time for a new full pannel. It's 100% your choice whether you have that full pannel this year, but yearly testing is the best way for every person to protect themselves against STIs, whether they've had any risks or not.

[ 06-29-2012, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Rei ]

--------------------
~ Saffy
Scarleteen Volunteer

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Okay great thanks so much for the clarification. I really do greatly appreciate it. I know I've driven people crazy on here and I dont mean to, I just like definitve answers so I can know yes or no answers, if that makes any sense. Anyways, thanks so much again, I'm going to try a lot harder not to worry about things that aren't really risky so I can be happier.
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

That's so good to hear! [Smile] And yes, that makes sense; you thought I secretly believed you'd had a risk with your finger, because I told you to test anyway? Do I have that right?

[ 06-29-2012, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Rei ]

--------------------
~ Saffy
Scarleteen Volunteer

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

What I meant more of was when I'm told that something, for example, 'probably doesn't pose a risk' I don't know of that means yes it was risky or no it wasn't so I get more confused on whether I should worry or not, so I persist. But I'm hoping you secretly didn't believe that haha, I'm assuming you'd just tell me.
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

I absolutely 100% don't believe you had a risk there, no. Not at all. And yes, if I did - secretly or otherwise - I'd tell you straight away.

Thanks for clarifying that, that helps us a lot, and I'll bare it in mind. [Smile]

I hope you feel much happier from now on, Dorey.

[ 06-29-2012, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Rei ]

--------------------
~ Saffy
Scarleteen Volunteer

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Yes I trust yours and everyone else on here's opinions and I appreciate you telling me a definitive answer. Thank you again [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.