Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Forgot to take pill after break?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Forgot to take pill after break?
pinkunicornxo
Activist
Member # 95603

Icon 4 posted      Profile for pinkunicornxo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
Ive been on the pill for about 8 months now and I was supposed to take my pill last night after my week break but I forgot and only just remembered and dont know what to do.
Should I double up tonight or just take the one?
Would appreciate a response asap [Smile]
Thank you x

--------------------
xoxoxo

Posts: 41 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it the combined pill you take, or progesterone only pills?

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's best to take the late pill now and the pill for tonight at your usual time. If you take the combined pill your protection won't be compromised; but if it's progesterone only pills I'd use a back-up method for the rest of your cycle to be completely safe.

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just FYI, I'd suggest backing up your method for one week on top of making up the missed pill. That first pill is the worst pill to miss with any kind of oral contraceptive, and way better safe than sorry.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinkunicornxo
Activist
Member # 95603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinkunicornxo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is the combined pill Im on Ive just taken the one I missed and will be taking the next pill in around 2 hours, so will it be safe to have sex next Saturday?

--------------------
xoxoxo

Posts: 41 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By next Saturday (not tomorrow), so long as you keep taking your pills correctly, I would expect your pill to be back to its full effectiveness if it was impacted by missing that one at all, yes.

Just don't forget the pill provides no protection against infections, and if you back it up with condoms, you get that and pretty much as close to 100% protection against pregnancy as it gets.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.