Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Im so worried

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Im so worried
worries13
Neophyte
Member # 95195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for worries13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So here's the deal. About three weeks ago my boyfriend and I starting having sex. We were pretty safe, we used condoms and made sure everything was still in place every so often. The condom didnt break. He didnt even finish inside of me nor was anywhere near finishing. I know we were safe but I'm still worrying sick.
Two days ago I started feeling my period was coming, the usual cramps and everything. However since then I've only had a light pink discharge when I wipe and no cramps. I usually have horrible ones. My "period" was two days late but I'm usually reaaally irregular. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would worrying accomplish, do you think?

If and when we have been having the kinds of sex where pregnancy is possible -- and intercourse is that -- then pregnancy is always a risk. If we use a method or methods of contraception, like condoms, then we reduce those risks. How well we reduce them mostly depends on how consistently and correctly we use those methods.

But if and when a period is late -- and by that, that usually means at least a few days past the last time you'd expect it, then it's sound to take a pregnancy test. If a person is very irregular, then they might need to take a guess about when to test, or just test when they feel concerned. Testing does actually accomplish something, while worrying doesn't. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
worries13
Neophyte
Member # 95195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for worries13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just one more question. Could the light pink discharge be my actual period?
Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Periods certainly start sometimes with spotting rather than heavy flow.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
worries13
Neophyte
Member # 95195

Thank you so much, I just need to learn how to relax.
Heather
Member # 3

Well, and if you find that you don't feel covered enough with a combo of condoms and withdrawal when it comes to preventing pregnancy, you can also look into adding another reliable method of contraception. Not everyone will feel like the combo you're using leaves them feeling comfortable.

Too, you also get to check in with yourself and make sure you're okay taking even a small risk of pregnancy: not everyone is or is at a given time or in given situations. Sometimes having that kind of sex at all isn't going to be workable for us in that regard: sometimes we won't feel okay taking any level of that risk at all.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

worries13
Neophyte
Member # 95195

I know. I've been trying to convince myself not to worry but maybe sex isnt the thing for me right now. I certainly don't want to be this anxious every month. I'll just talk it over with my boyfriend. Thanks!
Heather
Member # 3

Or maybe the kind of sex that poses pregnancy risks isn't. Remember, intercourse isn't all sex or the only sex: it is just one of many, many ways of engaging in sex and expressing sexuality. Just one! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.