Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Starting to panic

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Starting to panic
tattoojunkiex
Neophyte
Member # 96068

Icon 9 posted      Profile for tattoojunkiex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just ended my period 3 days ago and on the last day I noticed a really strong vinegar odor coming from my vagina. I figured if I took a shower it would just go away but it hasn't. I don't have any other symptoms like weird discharge or itching, just the odor.

I'm a bit of a hypochondriac but I have had vaginal issues in the past. I'm 21 and I was raped by a guy friend and ended up with gonorrhea, chlamydia and hpv. I had to have a LEEP procedure last summer but since then all tests have been clear. I have had no vaginal problems until now.

This is weird but today I stuck a tampon in for a minute and then took it out to make sure everything looked normal, which it did, but the tampon smelled like death.

I'm really freaking out [Frown]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi tattoojunkiex, welcome to Scarleteen! I'm sorry to hear you're so upset right now; do try to relax a bit, as freaking out isn't going to do anything but make you feel terrible [Frown] This also isn't a situation that really calls for freaking out, from the sounds of it.

I'm afraid we can't diagnose exactly what this is for you online; not even a doctor could do that. It sounds like it's possible that it's bacterial vaginosis (because that tends to come with a very pungent odour), but it could also be some other kind of infection, and that's really as exact as anyone can get without being able to see symptoms or take swabs. So I would suggest going to your ob/gyn or doctor as soon as you can, as they will be able to really diagnose and treat what is going on here [Smile]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tattoojunkiex
Neophyte
Member # 96068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tattoojunkiex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah thank you. That makes me feel a lot better. Being a hypochondriac I usually tend to jump to the absolute worst possibility of what it could be. My gyn isn't in until Tuesday and I was just driving myself crazy with panic. I just wasn't sure if it was something really serious or just something little. Thank you so much for the response.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No worries, I totally understand [Smile] And happy to help!

If you'd like to get tested before tuesday, there may be a local sexual health or walk-in health clinic in your area that could do the tests for you [Smile]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.