Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Possible Contact?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Possible Contact?
foxxy lady
Member # 96081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxxy lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is kind of a long story so please just bear with me. My friend just recently contracted HIV. He's been really depressed and last night showed up at my house bawling. I went out to comfort him and noticed a make-shift bandage on his wrist. I started to uncover it and got half way though when he took the rest off. He had cut himself fairly bad and I realized we needed to get him into the hospital for stitches and I ran inside. I had touched a small amount of the blood from the clothe and quickly ran my fingers under and quick wiped them on my pants to try to dry them. I put my contacts in so I could drive him to the hospital and took off. I have no wounds or cuts on my hands but my question is, is there a possibility or means to be concerned with the possibility contracting it through putting my contacts in with the same fingers I had used to unwrap his towl? Thanks for your time.
Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI foxxy lady and welcome to Scarleteen.

I would suggest that you talk to a doctor or consult a sexual health clinic with this question. Water is generally not considered enough to kill the HIV virus, and your eyes are mucus membranes, so from what we know transfer is possible. However, since we're not doctors though, and this is an unusual situation, it's not really sound for us to tell you whether this is or isn't a risk.

It's definitely sound to talk to a professional about this to be on the safe side. Do you need any assistance finding a doctor or sexual health clinic?

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxxy lady
Member # 96081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxxy lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do I just call to talk to a doctor to see if its a risk? Or do I need to make an appointment to actually get seen by a doctor? Thanks for the reply
Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey foxxy lady. It's going to be more likely that you'll need to make an actual appointment, because doctors tend not to do assessments over the phone as far as I know. Either way, if you phone the doctor's office, they'll let you know if they need you to come in for an appointment or not [Smile]
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.