Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Period Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period Question
wanderlusting
Neophyte
Member # 96408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderlusting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys! So, recently, one of my co-workers had a miscarriage without knowing she was pregnant. She was really shocked and upset, the latter made even worse by the fact that she had just had her period when she expected it, and had no idea anything was awry. Being a naturally very paranoid person, the fact that she was pregnant and had her period hit me kind of hard.

Last month, about a week before I started the inactive pills on my BC pack, I had sex and allowed my boyfriend to ejaculate with his penis in between my legs in spoon position. There was no penetration during this particular activity, but obviously there is a definite risk with that type of behavior. Normally, I don't allow him to ejaculate inside me, or that close, so I was a bit worried as it got closer to my period, knowing I had allowed him to. I ended up having my period last month, right on time, for about 5 days. This was only about a week after the risky activity, so now, as I approach my second period since that sexual contact (the last sexual contact I've had), I'm worried that maybe something went awry and pregnancy could be a possibility, regardless of my last period, since it was so close to the activity.

I would normally take a test, but I don't have access to one at the moment, and wanted more sound advice about periods during pregnancy. I'm usually quite good with my pills, taking them within two, rarely three, hours of the time I've taken the first pill. Thank you!

Posts: 33 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi wanderlusting,

No one gets a period or withdrawal bleed during pregnancy. The menstrual cycle stops, or, if someone is on hormonal birth control and pregnancy happens anyway, the hormonal pattern of the pregnancy is going to supercede the hormonal pattern of the birth control.

People do have bleeding during pregnancy for other reasons. This is actually pretty rare though; I think the estimates are that 20%-30% of people experience bleeding during pregnancy.

So, your friend happened to be one of those people. Certainly that's scary, but it doesn't increase the chances that you'll be one of those people too.

It sounds like you're taking your pill as prescribed (taking it within 2 or 3 hours of when you usually take it is still fine) which doesn't prevent pregnancy 100%.

For future reference, if you want to decrease your risk as much as possible, the combination of birth control pill plus using condoms will get you pretty close.

None of us, of course, can tell you if you're pregnant. Since you don't have access to a test right now, you can either wait until you do have access, or wait for your withdrawal bleed to arrive, whichever comes first.

I hope this helps clarify things a little. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wanderlusting
Neophyte
Member # 96408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderlusting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you! So, the fact that I got my withdrawal bleed a week after sex is not a sound indicator of lack of pregnancy? Is 7 or 8 days not long enough for the hormonal shifts that happen during pregnancy to affect the withdrawal bleed?
Posts: 33 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry; I should have addressed that part.

It's more than likely that a withdrawal bleed at that time would mean you're not pregnant. Think about it this way: A withdrawal bleed or period is the shedding of the uterine lining. The uterine lining is what is needed for implantation to be successful, and for a pregnancy to continue.

So, certainly if you are worried, or if you don't get your next withdrawal bleed and want to make sure you know why, you can take a test. However, get
ting a withdrawal bleed at the time you expect it really is something you can trust.

What I should have said above is that it's rare for someone who experiences bleeding during pregnancy to have that bleeding come at the same time as a period or withdrawal bleed, or to resemble what those experiences are usually like for a particular person.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DesiRebel
Neophyte
Member # 107971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesiRebel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe my question/concern is answered, I have no idea, I apologize if it is already.
I've been going through a lot, emotionally, physically, and mentally... but 1:50 am on June 29th, my great grandmother past away, I've been having a pregnancy scare but that morning I got my period, it lasted until July 5-6, I had sex on July 6, & 7 (unprotected). I took a "next choice" on the 9th, still had sex (unprotected) on the 11 & 12 smh. Now.. idk if this is stress or depression or what, i havent had an appetite, so I haven't been eating like I should. But on the 14th I got a period, its still on..Today is the 17th. I haven't had any pain, I just know my body temp is a tad higher. At first its been a brownish color, but its gotten a dark red, and when I use the bathroom it just comes out with my urine.. My last period had so much texture, and was like mucus but "this" is just blood falling out. I can't tell if it's light or not tho. its frustrating, my boyfriend says its just stress but idk. I honestly dont know what it is. Ovulation? Stress? Pregnancy? Can someone please help me?

--------------------
the sweet is never as sweet without the sour.

Posts: 13 | From: FL | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DesiRebel
Neophyte
Member # 107971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesiRebel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ps:
nothing like this has ever happened to me. I've taken plan b before but never that brand. I've been stressed before (duh) but I've been living in SC and moved to FL on May 1 & since then I've had body changes, I did turn 20 in January also so thats why I'm so clueless to these changes.. I'm just trying to give as much info as I can. Thanks in advance.

--------------------

Posts: 13 | From: FL | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

hi DesiRebel and welcome to Scarleteen,

We ask that people create their own thread with their questions and concerns, to keep everything neat and organized. So, if you could create your own thread by going to the "post new topic" link you'll find at the top of any page, we can address your question there.

Thank you.

--------------------
Robin

DesiRebel
Neophyte
Member # 107971

Thanks Robin.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.