Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » period is mia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: period is mia
LiiviinLaviidalocaaa
Activist
Member # 42288

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiiviinLaviidalocaaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello last time I had sex was end of march, I have an iud and I shortly had my period after(beg of April) before that I had it beginning of March but that was bc withdrawl and when I got my iud put in, in mid April I hookedup w. A gu y but we.did not
my have sex he briefly spanked my vaginaonce but it was by my clitoros mostly and enjoyed putting his flacidks penis btwn my butt cheeks then I got a period beg of may, last week I startedvgettibgvspottibg and it stopped and no period started very liilbovsaw pink but mostly bowhe brown spotting I'm Naturally irregular I've had times where my period doesn't come one month but I'm not sure if that is the case do I have a pregnancy risk I should worry about

--------------------
~*~ Live Laugh Love ~*~

Posts: 182 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey LiiviinLaviidalocaaa, IUDs can cause some irregularity with bleeding, so your period being late/very light is probably from your new IUD. It doesn't sound like you had any major pregnancy risk.

The situation you have described does pose a bit of a risk of STIs, however, as your partner's bare penis came in contact with your anus. I would suggest using condoms from now on. Are you keeping up to date with regular STI screenings?

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiiviinLaviidalocaaa
Activist
Member # 42288

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiiviinLaviidalocaaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I'm good w. Sti I'm just worried about pregnancy cuz I had the pre spotting, however I'm.naturally irregular also the iud isn't that new its the 3rd month as already I got it beg of March

--------------------
~*~ Live Laugh Love ~*~

Posts: 182 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three months in is still fairly new, your body is still adjusting, and for some people the IUD can cause light spotting beyond 3 months. Is your IUD a copper one, or Mirena? Mirena IUDs cause shorter, lighter periods and more spotting than the copper ones.
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiiviinLaviidalocaaa
Activist
Member # 42288

Nope I got paragard the copper one

--------------------
~*~ Live Laugh Love ~*~

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spotting can be caused by any IUD: that's a very common side effect with all types.

Pregnancy with an IUD is rare: it is highly unlikely you are pregnant.

But infection risks can indeed be higher, so just to make sure: this partner and yourself engaging in genital contact without condoms, you BOTH have very recently had full STI screenings? And have both been sexually exclusive with each other, only, for the last six months or more?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheerleader10192
Neophyte
Member # 95985

Icon 9 posted      Profile for cheerleader10192     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, My period is a little over a week late. two weeks ago my boyfriend came over and we were just messing around. I gave him a hand job, after i like washed my hands and stuff and i don't know if he got anything on his hands. but after he fingered me. and i'm freaking out right now. i'm to scared to take a pregnancy test either. I have to go to the gynocologyst soon anyway with my mom for birth control. and i'm freaking out because they give you a pregnancy test. and the last thing i want is for it to come back positive because my family would not be okay with that. what should i do? my boy friend said my period is probably late because i'm stressing out over the fact i could be too much. but what else is a girl supposed to do?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI cheerleader10192 and welcome to Scarleteen.

Periods can definitely be late because of stress.

We do ask that people make their own thread for their own topics. It can get pretty confusing trying to respond to two people in the same thread, and it really is good for people to have their own space, dedicated to their own concerns.

You can click on the "post new topic" link on any page and make your own thread. Then we can talk about your concerns and questions in depth.

Can you also read this article, that talks about what is and is not a pregnancy risk? Then we can all be on the same page! [Smile]

Afraid you might be pregnant? Please read this first.

Thank you. and again, welcome to Scarleteen!

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiiviinLaviidalocaaa
Activist
Member # 42288

Sorry lost internet connection but lately when I use the bathroom and I wipe its light pink w.a bit brown but on the pad its very lil like when I was on bcp and its all brown, where is my reg period, the iud made it a week longer, I liked that, what is going on w. Me I'm not on any medication I'm on what shld be my menstruel week and on Monday it'll be 3 weeks since I started spotting is this really normal, I don't have HIV or syphilis 2 weeks ago but its not passed the 2 month period yet, also I don't have any sti symptoms I never had them, and in April they tested me for some things before my hook up and those came out clean also and nothings Changed, I don't drink a lot of water, and naturally sometimes I do miss periods off bc now I do have the iud but I haveny had intercourse since march I'm so worried

--------------------
~*~ Live Laugh Love ~*~

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you have a complete STI screening after your hookup?

Am I understanding correctly that you've been spotting consistently for the past three weeks, or on and off?

If this is concerning you, it's a good idea to check in with your doctor about it.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiiviinLaviidalocaaa
Activist
Member # 42288

Actually its been a week but feels longer than that its been a lil over a week and when wipe its pink but brown on the pad and I'm on the week when im supp to get my period, I got the full vaginal sti screening before the hookup which was early April the hook up was right after it was clean then in may I got the HIV and syphilis but I'm still in the window period regardless I don't have any real symptoms and he didn't and he got a screening after we hooked up and we didn't have sex and he's clean so I'm clean besides when do sti affect menstrual cycles

--------------------
~*~ Live Laugh Love ~*~

LiiviinLaviidalocaaa
Activist
Member # 42288

Scratch that its light red on toilet paper but brown on pad

--------------------
~*~ Live Laugh Love ~*~

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Well, you did have bare genital-to-genital contact so, for the purposes of evaluating STI risks, that does count as sex. [Smile]

and no, STIs don't generally have much to do with the menstrual cycle ; I just wanted to double-check with you as you had mentioned having genital contact with your partner without a condom.

Spotting can be a side effect of using an IUD. It does sound like it would be helpful for you to check in with a health care provider. It doesn't sound like anything is wrong, per se, but this is causing you enough worry and anxiety that getting it checked out and getting some answers, even an anwer of "it's fine", could help you out a lot. What do you think?

--------------------
Robin

LiiviinLaviidalocaaa
Activist
Member # 42288

I'm sick of going to the Dr for silly things if its nothing why shld I go

--------------------
~*~ Live Laugh Love ~*~

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you had your follow-up exam for your IUD insertion yet?

f not, that might be the right place to check in about this, and STI issues and maybe also talk to someone else besides us about how to engage in safer sex so that you are reducing risks of infections when you do engage in sex, which, again, is especially important, more than it is already, when you have an IUD.

If you did already have that follow-up, why don't you call your healthcare provider, tell them about this, and see if they think you should be seen or not?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiiviinLaviidalocaaa
Activist
Member # 42288

The amt of blood is increaseong everyday so I guess I'm ok?

--------------------
~*~ Live Laugh Love ~*~

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

I'm not sure what you mean when you ask if you're okay.

Have you, as Heather asked, had your follow-up appointment after the IUD insertion?

--------------------
Robin

LiiviinLaviidalocaaa
Activist
Member # 42288

YES I'm not stupid TWICE and its fine in perf placement and I check it monthly.... What does that have to do w. Me bleeding not as much as I did last month

--------------------
~*~ Live Laugh Love ~*~

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one is calling you stupid. IUDs of all types can cause irregular bleeding patterns, however, the best person to ask about this is your healthcare provider. It's part of their job to answer questions like this, and they would have a better idea of whether or not you need to be seen. You don't have to make an appointment, you can phone and ask whether an appointment is necessary.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.