Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Should I take Plan B?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should I take Plan B?
CrazyOldMe
Neophyte
Member # 96016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrazyOldMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I've recently started seeing someone, I've spoken to my gyno about birth control and picked up a pack. My doctor said that since I'm in the middle of my cycle, starting now might lead to my having two periods in quick succession and increased spotting, so I was planning on waiting until I got my period in two weeks to start. Last night though, my guy and I began making out which led to manual sex. He did not ejaculate anywhere near my vulva, but he did try touch me under my underwear prior to ejaculation but after touching himself. I stopped him before he touched my vulva directly, but he was very near to it, and I'm concerned that precum may have come into close contact with my genitals. I know the risk of pregnancy from this is very slim, but I'm of the "overly cautious, paranoid" types, and I was wondering if I should take Plan B in this instance, to be on the safe side, since it's been less than 24 hours.

What would you recommend for both my safety and peace of mind? Take plan B? Just start my regular birth control now, despite the chance of more starting? Wait until my next period to start BC?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are not describing anything that has posed any pregnancy risk.

I'd say taking Plan B in this case would be like taking an antibiotic when you don't have an infection: there's simply no point.

In terms of your peace of mind, I'd say start your BC whenever you'd like, but what will probably make you feel better is having a chat with the person you're seeing about safer sex, birth control, and what kind of sex or ways of engaging in sexual activities you're most comfortable with and ready to deal with.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.