Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » New to birth control pills > questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New to birth control pills > questions
jesque
Neophyte
Member # 95971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jesque     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from my first gynecologist appt. and it went well, so I'm pleased about that, but I have a few questions that didn't occur to me when I was there.

I got a prescription and month trial for Generess Fe, and noticed after I left that they are chewable. I had never heard of chewable pills and would actually prefer swallowable pills. Would it bad to swallow these? Has anyone taken chewable birth control pills and could tell me about them? Should I ask to switch to a different kind?

Also, this month I experienced spotting instead of my 'real' period, that is pretty much over by today or this week. According to the Sunday rule, would I start taking the pill this Sunday because I've finished the spotting/really light period, or should I wait until I get my fuller period (in July)?
I'm sure I can call to ask, but I'd be more comfortable asking here and not trying to go through the process of trying to talk to my doctor during the middle of the work day (and the office has telephone call charges, though I think that visit-related questions don't count, just to be safe).
Thanks so much.

Posts: 3 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most chewable oral contraceptive pills can be chewed or swallowed, but was does your patient information packet that came with your pills say about that?

You can start your pills anytime, it's just that doing a first day start or a Sunday start means they're going to be fully effective for you earlier.

So, you can start anytime, but if you're not starting on a first-day or Sunday after a period, you'll just need to be sure to use a backup method until your next pill pack, if you're sexually active and using the pill as birth control.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jesque
Neophyte
Member # 95971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jesque     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The patient information says "Chew and swallow one pill every day without water at the same time" - I guess the last part is a caveat to swallowing, but I want to make sure.

And I think I might wait for a first day start, or even the Sunday after I get my normal period back, to give me more time to understand the pills. I'm not sure how long it will be until then though, do you think this is ok? I'm not sexually active right now to need it as birth control right away.

Posts: 3 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think swallowing the should be fine, then, but you might just want to check in with your provider. It's unlikely you'd be charged for a follow-up question for information you weren't provided at your visit.

OR, you could call you pharmacist who filled the prescription.

So long as you use pills within the expiry date, you can wait however long you'd like to take them.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.