Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » pregnancy via indirect transfer of precum

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pregnancy via indirect transfer of precum
LeaM
Neophyte
Member # 95440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Scarleteen experts,

Pregnancy via indirect transfer of precum? how likely is this to happen overall?

Have you ever heard of such a thing happen?

I have asked this similiar question. However, my anxiety has gotten the better of me and I need reassurance. There is absolutely no one I can discuss this with which is why I would appreciate it from the bottom of my heart if you could give me more info on this topic.

Basically, I have read on here that it takes direct genital contact (ie. rubbing of genitals, intercourse or anal sex), or ejaculate (but you have not mentioned preejaculate) to land on a vulva for pregnancy to be a risk.

So indirect transfer of precum is almost a no risk scenario? because you need lots of semen? and preejaculate on a hand would not be loaded wih sufficient amounts to make this happen?

Thank you for your time. I had been feeling better about this but have begun having anxiety again.

If you can give me simple and point form info I will greatly appreciate it. I think I will be able to reassure myself with those answers when my anxiety begins to get the best of me.

Thanks again! and thanks for helping out so many young people out there!!!

Posts: 8 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI LeaM,

The deal with pre-ejaculate is that it doesn't contain sperm, but can pick up any sperm that might be left in the urethra.

So, getting pregnant from exposure to pre-ejaculate isn't no risk, but it's low risk...like the chances of finding $10,000 just lying on the sidewalk. And if the pre-ejaculate is first on a hand or other object such as clothing, well, the risks go down even further, maybe to the chances of finding $20,000 lying on the sidewalk.

So, pregnancy really isn't a concern here, but STI transmission is. It's important that if you're engaging in this type of sexual activity with your partner that yu've both recently been tested for STIs.

I'm also wondering, since, you're having this level of anxiety, if the anxiety might be telling you that you just aren't ready for these sexual activities. What do you think?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeaM
Neophyte
Member # 95440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So pregnancy via indirect contact with precum would be considered to be a "very low risk" activity? low enough not to lose any sleep over it happening?

Thank you for the info

Posts: 8 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the risk is low enough that it's not worth losing sleep over, or even thinking about.

As I said above though, that kind of sexual activity can still pose STI (sexually transmitted infection) risks.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeaM
Neophyte
Member # 95440

how much pre-ejaculate fluid would be required on a hand in order to transmit STIs?
Can they still be trasnmitted once the fluid has dried up?

Thank you!

LeaM
Neophyte
Member # 95440

Whenever you get a chance if you would be so kind as to answer my question above...thanks a million!
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Some STIs are transmitted through skin-to-skin contact, not just through fluids. So, this means that if someone touched the genitals of someone who had one of these STIs, then touched themselves, it is possible for them to transmit the STI to their own genitals.

So, considering STI transmission isn't just about how much fluid is on one's hands or whether it's dried up.

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.