Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Breast Reduction?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Breast Reduction?
madyc12
Neophyte
Member # 96018

Icon 5 posted      Profile for madyc12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a serious athlete with 36DD breasts. I've been thinking about a breast reduction for almost a year now (I'm 16) and I still have some questions about it. As a swimmer (as well as runner, basketball, and soccer player) my breasts have been creating some issues with my performance, and I often feel really uncomfortable about them. I know that I would definitely be more comfortable with my body and I would have more success athletically if I did get the surgery, but I'm worried about how it will affect me in the future. I've heard a lot of scary stories about people who have had breast reductions, and I know that when I have kids I'm going to want to breastfeed, so these among other possible issues have been holding me back. I've talked to my mom about it, but we both want to find some real life answers about how it will actually affect me, positively or negatively.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your very best bet then would be to make consultation appointments with a couple of different surgeons where you can ask them all about this.

Mind, given that you're still talking about a relatively average size and nothing causing you physical pain or health issues, ethical surgeons will most likely tell you to at least wait on this until you're 18 or even further past puberty. And given we have very little study on how breast changes impact young people, where breast cell development -- that has to do with some parts of your health -- matters in terms of lifelong health, I'd personally advise letting this one sit myself for another couple of years.

Too, it's very typical to have a lot of emotional discomfort with our bodies as we develop and get used to that, so surgical changes at this time of life again, unless it's a serious physical or emotional health issue where one is very certain it will improve health, is generally not advised.

But again, you're asking about a surgery -- and all surgeries carry a host of risks, from mild to serious -- so the best people to talk to would be credible surgeons who do this surgery.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.