Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Confused...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Confused...
soccer06
Activist
Member # 92108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccer06         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys,
I know i've talked to you guys a lot before on what are pregnancy risks and what are not. I'm 16 and really am a logical thinker (well, i THINK it's logic...haha)

Anyways, I'm always paranoid when it comes to fingering and sperm on fingers (if it were so).

I always tend to think that it seems possible for sperm to be transported on a finger into the vagina (as, for say, grape juice does). I feel like it just seems logical for sperm to be transported that way and planned parenthood explains that everytime sperm comes in contact with the vagina (without sex) there is still a chance of pregnancy.

Now what I'm wondering is if my way of thinking occurs because i'm not ready for this type of activity (I thought I was, though) or if I am thinking about it all wrong.

Again, it just seems logical to me that semen on a finger then inserted into the vagina after a few minutes could easily lead to pregnancy and be just as much of a risk as actual sex (no matter how much of the semen there was).

I'm confused on why I think this way, if it is because i'm not ready or if it is becasue I'm comparing it to the wrong thing (like grape juice) and just am not getting a sense of what it actually is.

Posts: 140 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think the first thing to know is that in a whole lot of ways, the process of reproduction isn't so logical.

But like I think we have talked about before, sperm cells are a whole lot of nothing much without the fluid that they come out of the body in. That fluid is really as essential for a pregnancy to happen as the sperm cells are. Another biggie is the movement of that fluid: that matters, too, as does where that fluid is deposited, which is why most pregnancies will occur due to penis-in-vagina intercourse, even though they can also happen with slightly more indirect ways of exposure, like someone ejaculating directly on the vulva or into the anus, then having it dribble down.

I'm very confused about what you mean with the grape juice. Clue me in?

And you know, no matter what, he's the scoop: I'd hope whoever you might have manual sex with has the basic hygiene skills to wash their hands before they eat. If they do that, they should know they need to do that before they put their hands in anyone's pants. After all, whatever they don't want in their mouths they want to wash away, they hopefully don't want to put on your vulva. Really, handwashing before doing this is really basic hygiene and plain old common courtesy: your partner hopefully won't mind doing something so basic and easy to say, prevent UTIs and bacterial infections, which are the real kinds of physical risks to worry about with manual sex, not pregnancy.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soccer06
Activist
Member # 92108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccer06         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean that if you were to put a small drop of grapejuice on your hand, let it sit out for a bit, and then place it into your vagina, it would still be wet and useful (is this like the transporting of sperm?)
Posts: 140 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm.

If you put a small drop of grapejuice on your hand, your hand would pretty much absorb it, and there's no way you could move whatever liquid was left into your vagina without an eyedropper. MAYBE.

But I also don't know what you mean by "useful," as grape juice wouldn't have anything to DO, nor does it contain anything that would travel from your vaginal opening, through your vagina, through your cervix and to your fallopian tubes.

So, yeah, thinking about this like grapejuice isn't sound, nor is even thinking what you are about grape juice. [Razz]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soccer06
Activist
Member # 92108

What could I compare the transportation of sperm from the penis, onto a hand, to the vagina like in real life? I don't really understand.
Heather
Member # 3

Not much, actually, especially since you're taking about something that, all by itself, can't be transported anywhere.

So, aside of talking about things like fluid-borne viruses, I got nothin.

I mean, even comparing it to something that needs water to live like a goldfish doesn't work, because the goldfish doesn't have to DO anything: it has no function to perform. Really, I can't think of anything sound.

But how about this: how about you try and simply understand and accept that we are talking uniquely about something unique here? Something that doesn't need to be like something else in order to be as it is and act as it does?

[ 05-21-2012, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

soccer06
Activist
Member # 92108

I'll work on remembering those things. Thanks for your responses.
Heather
Member # 3

You might also even think, for a moment, about the UNREAL level of overpopulation we would have on the planet -- I think it's safe to say it'd be to a point where we'd all have died of hunger by now -- if pregnancy could happen because of sperm cells left behind on hands.

Seriously: think about how many people do not wash their hands (to get that, look at the level of infectious disease in our world). Think about how many people with penises touch their penises, even in just one day. Hell, even in just a few hours. Think about how many of those people also touch vaginas.

You'd probably not know anyone who wasn't pregnant every year, honestly, and who didn't start becoming pregnant every year around the age of 14 or 15.

I mean, if you want logic to grok this, maybe try and follow the idea of sperm on hands and indirect transfer = pregnancy to its logical conclusion.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.