Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pregnancy Tests-My clinic is being unhelpful. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Pregnancy Tests-My clinic is being unhelpful.
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hello kitteh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So basically I had a series of pregnancy scares-- but as of a few months ago I have ceased any sexual activity I feel risky. However, I am still worried about pregnancy due to the things I did before this, and I've taken several pregnancy tests, and realized many of them were invalid either because I took them too early, drank too much water before, etc. But recently I did research before I took my most recent test. I had no choice but to take it at a clinic after school. I know you are ideally supposed to use first morning urine, but this wasn't possible for me, as I couldn't afford a home one and the clinic offered free urine tests if I could drive there. Anyways, I took the test a little after 3PM on April 18th. I made sure I had not urinated or drank water since 10 that morning, I urinated last right at 10AM or a few minutes after, and had not drank water since about 30 minutes before that, I believe. At this time it would have been 42 days since a risk. I read so much though, that urine tests can be wrong if not taken with first morning urine. I asked the clinic and they told me 42 days make not have been long enough to wait, but I read otherwise so many places. I am really sick of worrying, it's destroying my life, and I don't have periods because I'm on an extended cycle birth control, (which is also unreliable because of the way I take it, so please don't think I rely on it for a contraceptive, it's only for endometriosis) so I don't have monthly periods for reassurance. But I wanted to ask an expert, did I wait long enough? Did I hold my urine long enough? And had it been long enough since I drank water for HCG to build up? I really want to trust the negative test.
Posts: 90 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just so I understand: you're saying that the most recent test you took at the clinic came back negative?

You may know from seeing pregnancy tests at the drugstore that there are many different brands. Whether first urine is required depends on the test. Forty-two days after a pregnancy risk is definitely long enough to wait before testing for pregnancy. I'm surprised that the clinic said it might not be.

Did they tell you when you should retest to know for sure?

But regardless of what they said, you've had several negative tests (and again, unless strictly stated by the specific test used first morning urine isn't generally essential) so the chances you are pregnant are slim to none.

What course of action would help you feel more secure in this knowledge?

Not sure if you've seen this yet, but here's an article that will give you the lowdown on how pregnancy test work.

Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

[ 04-23-2012, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hello kitteh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I just read that article. The girls at the clinic were very young and didn't inspire much confidence. Yes, the most recent test was negative. They were all negative. But until the most recent one, I didn't know drinking water and such would affect them. I always took them late at night after drinking lots of water too soon after risks. So I only have my most recent one. I don't know when I'd be able to go in again. Do I really need to follow up with another test that many days after a risk?
Posts: 90 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That long after a risk, a follow up test isn't necessary, but if you want to test again, that's up to you.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Okay, thank you:) Was the way I held my urine and stopped drinking fluids correct for a late afternoon test? I had urinated several times prior to 10 that morning but did not after 10, and like I said, stopped drinking water or other fluids after 10. would that have been enough time for HCG to build up for sure?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drinking fluids as you normally do isn't going to influence the results of a test. Drinking excessive amounts of water just before taking a test might, but taking in liquids in your usual amounts won't have an effect.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Okay, cause I totally dehydrated myself and felt awful but kept telling myself it would make the test more accurate. Did being so dehydrated effect the test? And was it right of me to hold my urine 4-5
hours before?
sorry, I'm just trying to get this all straight.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No need to be sorry, but I think you're worrying yourself about things you don't need to. When someone is pregnant and they take a pregnancy test, it is generally going to show up positive, even if they aren't using first morning urine, and whether they're hydrated or dehydrated. Those tests just aren't that persnickety.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

And 42 days after a risk would DEFINITELY be accurate?
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pregnancy tests don't have a 100% accuracy rate, just like...well, any medical test. So, one could never say that at any time a test would absolutely, positively be accurate.

That said, if a person became pregnant from intercourse 42 days before, and had remained pregnant, to do so they'd need the hormone a test reads for to be rising steadily to sustain that pregnancy. For most people in that situation, a test done at that time, and after a menstrual period was late, should be accurate.

But am I also understanding correctly that it has been months since you engaged in any sexual activity which can even present a real risk of pregnancy? If so, we're talking about a longer period of time than 42 days anyway.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

I guess I meant I stopped doing really risky things, but I did something 42 days before that test that worried me. Because of my birth control, I only have very light periods. I haven't had a period while on this birth control yet, but a lot of painful spotting, and some bleeding during the placebo pills that I'm not sure was a period. So I guess my concern is-- is the lack or presence of a period needed to take an avccurate test if I waited 42 days?
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Correction-- I was on LoSeasonique for a 3 month period and had painful spotting then- I had some very short bleeding of some kind, not sure if it was a period or something else, during the placebo pills. My obgyn then switched my pill to camrese, since they said I needed a higher dosage. Since i started the camrese, I have not yet gotten to the placebo pills, but have had a little bit of spotting with low back pain. So I really have no period to go by.
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Correction-- I was on LoSeasonique for a 3 month period and had painful spotting then- I had some very short bleeding of some kind, not sure if it was a period or something else, during the placebo pills. My obgyn then switched my pill to camrese, since they said I needed a higher dosage. Since i started the camrese, I have not yet gotten to the placebo pills, but have had a little bit of spotting with low back pain. So I really have no period to go by.
Heather
Member # 3

How about we look at if what happened 42 days ago was even a real risk? It just seems silly to be digging in this deeply about tests without first evaluating that, same goes with talking about periods, since clearly, you're one of the folks in a boat where talking about this around regular periods doesn't make sense.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

That's the thing, I don't really remember. I guess I just wanted to rule out anything that could have happened before 42 days before taking the test, since that test was the only one I've taken correctly. I just really need to know if whether or not I have a period since the risk affects the accuracy of the test, as long as I've waited long enough.

And sorry for the double post!

Heather
Member # 3

Can you fill me in on what you mean by not remembering? Do you mean you were assaulted or engaging in some kind of sex while drugged or intoxicated?

But no, menstruating or not doesn't change the results of a pregnancy test. People can still become pregnant, after all, who menstruate sporadically or go a long time without periods. And pregnancy tests test for a hormone created exclusively by pregnancy, not something created by having a period or not.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Oh no, sorry I did not mean it like that. It's just, that is the last date for sure I engaged in risky sexual activity. My boyfriend and I stupidly did some rubbing while unclothed. I just don't remember the specifics. So I guess what you're saying is, no matter what my periods have been like, whether I've had them, nott had them, or had other types of bleeding, 42 days was long enough to wait?
Heather
Member # 3

It should have been, yes.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Thank you so much:) I cannot tell you how much peace of mind this gives me:)
One last question, I drank quite a bit of water before I urinated last at
10 because I knew it was my last chance to drink water. would that have been bad?

Heather
Member # 3

As Karyn already explained, it is okay to drink water before pregnancy testing, just not to serious excess. And you'd know if you had, because you probably would have felt bloated and crummy.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

I drank quite a bit, but it was all before I urinated at ten. Is that still okay? I don't remember how much I drank, I think it was quite a bit.
Heather
Member # 3

I am sure it was fine, really.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Okay, thank you:)
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

something else- when I drank the water, I had drank some before I went to bed, and then a large quantity all at once when I woke up, and then some smaller quantities all before I urinated for the last time. Does the volumes I drank matter if it was before that last time I urinated?
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as you weren't drinking huge amounts right beforehand, it really shouldn't matter. If you sat down and chugged several liters or a gallon of water at once, then that might be a problem...but normal amounts (even "large" normal amounts) are fine, seriously.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

and it's only a concern if you drink large amounts right before the test?
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, it would have to be right before it, I don't see any cause for concern here; you can trust your test result.

However, just for your own peace of mind, you can always test again if it'll help you trust your result. [Smile]

[ 04-25-2012, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Saffron Reimi ]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Thank you:)
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're very welcome! [Smile]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

I just realized I was off by a few days. It had actually only been 39 days since a risk. Was this test still just as accurate with the way and time I took it? was that still long enough to wait?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

That long after a potential risk, a few days isn't going to make a difference in the results. 39 days is still plenty of time to get an accurate result.

--------------------

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Thank you so much for all your previous help.

I have another issue though. I have a HUGE phobia of pregnancy. I'm constantly terrified of it. I'm afraid to touch my boyfriend after he puts his hands in his pockets. It ruins my everyday life, it's all I think about, and sometimes I just cry for hours.

Basically, yesterday evening I was at my boyfriend's house. We walked in his bedroom and he looked like he wanted me to hug him, so I walked over and hugged him. I started kissing his neck, which I guess got too erotic because suddenly I felt his erect penis through his pants against my leg. This scared me, and suddenly I had to go to the bathroom. I went in and pulled my leggings and underwear down, and had gotten really wet. My underwear had a lot of holes in hem, so I cannot count it as a layer of clothing and my leggings are extremely thin. Also, I was wearing a very thin shawl that had been pressed up against his area where his penis was. I decided not to wipe myself, because I was afraid to touch myself, but somehow my fingers got caught in my underwear and I ended up touching my vulva. Also, once that was done, the shawl somehow got wrapped between my legs and got drug right through my vaginal area (gross, I know). This, of course, freaked me out. He had been wearing underwear and shorts, but I also know the shorts weren't very thick because they were very old and just an hour before he had torn a hole in them jusy from trying to fix them-his thumb went right through them. I tried to wash my hands and stay calm, but it wasn't more than five minutes before I was bawling like an idiot. He tried to make me feel better, but I screamed at him.

I yelled at him because I saw him scratch himself in his pocket, and then he touched me and I was sure since he had just been hard there would be precum on his underwear, which he got on his hand from scratching his penis through his pocket. After that I was crying my eyes oyut, for a good two hours, and then I freaked out that all the water from my tears would make it easier for semen or sperm to be viable on my skin. I cried so hard and so long I was soaking wet on my shirt and pants and shawl, and everytime he tried to touch me I flipped out. I guess I need peace of mind. Is there ANYTHING to worry about in this situation? I really need some help, and I can't get ahold of my therapist.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, there is nothing to worry about here. Contact through clothing cannot lead to any pregnancy risks. It's just not possible.

It sounds though like your anxiety goes a lot deeper than having this information is going to reach. Have you discussed these fears with your therapist before? I think it would be a very good idea for you to work on this with your therapist. Anxiety such as you describe can't be fun for you.

This is not to say that there is anything "wrong" with you. Anxiety is a big thing, a serious thing. Having the right information can help, but it can sometimes take more for that information to get through.

How can we help you get through this until you have a chance to work on it with your therapist?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

I think just having you guys to talk to and ask questions for a while will help me. I go through episodes. After getting enough information, I don't usually worry.
I also got worried because after he had touched me and all that had happened, I washed my hands a zillion times and went through a new towel everytime because I'm so OCD. But what worried me is I decided to masturbate that night to make myself relax, but all it did was make me upset again, because I thought for sure something had goteen through his underwear and pants.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Sperm cannot penetrate through fabric and live to tell the tale. It can't live on the hands after even one hand washing let alone several. Mind, it can't even live on your hands even if you don't wash them.

Have you read any of the articles on our site explaining how human reproduction works?

If not, I can give you some links.

With your high levels of anxiety though, I'm concerned that we can keep telling you and telling you these things but that it's going to be tough for you to integrate them. Are you planning to discuss this in depth with your therapist?

--------------------
Robin

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.