Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Is dark yellow discharge really that bad?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is dark yellow discharge really that bad?
graychick
Neophyte
Member # 95808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for graychick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so i´ve noticed that a few days before my period i get this dark yellow discharge. Not slightly yello- i mean it dries dark, intense yellow in my panties. It doesnt smell bad at all- just like my regular discharge. I have been to the gyno to get a pap smear, and the results said that i had hpv; i had a following colposcopy which came out clear, and i even had that lab test (i dont know how you call it in the us, is something like hybrid-capture, it tells you which specific hpv virus you have) that came back NEGATIVE for all kinds of hpv, both high and low risk. she also did not tell me i had an infection or anything.

Something else - the colposcopy was performed a few days before my period and before that day my discharge was white, afterwards and before i started bleeding i had the dark yellow one. This month it was also white (my period is due on 5 days until i had sex yesterday. i ended up a little sore but like i said it doesnt smell bad.

either way, i remember months before where i would get this discharge with or without sex.. once i asked my doctor "is it normal to have this DARK yellow discharge, so yellow it shines almost yellow green?" (not really green though, just a very bright yellow, and she said if its -i dont remember which- part of your cycle, then yeah.

i have been having sex with the same boyfriend for almost two years, we are monogamous.

ANd i am asking this because i read you r section on vaginal discharge and it says that if its dark yellow, it must be bad... like gonhorrea or something... like i said my doctor had done serveral checkups on me and said everything was normal. the day of the colposcopy everything was normal but then again i dont think i acquired an infection from that. could i have asymptomatic gonhorrea?? all the entries i have found about yellow discharge include either bad odor or vaginal itching or other symptoms..which i dont have.

thanx (:

Posts: 15 | From: mexico | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graychick
Neophyte
Member # 95808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for graychick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
by the way, i´ve had fungus infections in the past.. and they usually happen a week or so before my period. some of those occasions i have been itchy, sometimes i just have a discharge change that makes it sort of ..chunky, but no symptoms and also all came back to normal after my period. like i said, i have gone to the doctor after the bleeding and she found no infection. maybe the weird discharge is a slight manifestation of yeast? im just worried about gonhorrea.......i dont really distrust my boyfriend, beasides, this has happened to me for a while now so i never really thought about it that much..
Posts: 15 | From: mexico | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you had a full STI screening?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graychick
Neophyte
Member # 95808

no, i know i should get one...but not yet.
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's an important part of your sexual health care to have regular, complete STI screenings. Is that something you think you can schedule for yourself soon?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graychick
Neophyte
Member # 95808

well, thankfully here in mexico they got like this super cheap clinics, they charge about less than 4 dlls for a consultation with a GP and they also have a lab. So yeah i could ask them...
graychick
Neophyte
Member # 95808

by the way do you know whats a gonhorrea test like? i mean do they need a blood or urine sample or do i need a cervix sample like with the pap smear?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you've never had an STI screening before, you'll want to get tested for everything, not just gonorrhea. Testing for some STIs involves a blood test, others need a urine sample or a swab of your discharge. There's more information here: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/infection/testing_testing

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graychick
Neophyte
Member # 95808

So... it turns out i have an infection. i mean vaginosis (havent donde the STI screening yet). As i was about to insert the medication, i could feel my cervix. i know its normal to feel your cervix but mine was like... less than an inch deep! i dont have to insert more than my first knuckle to feel it! i know the cervix hangs lower depending if u are fertile or not, but i have fingered myself in the past and i NEVER felt it this low.. if it wasnt for the damn meds i would have probably not noticed that but now i did and im freaking out over uterine prolapse. no ive never had kids, and it doesnt cause me any disconfort, but this is causing me anxiety ): i know ill go to the doctor but i dont wanna cuz i was just there last month and everything was find and i feel sort of..paranoid..
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's highly unlikely you have a uterine prolapse.

And if you just were at a clinic and got examined for an infection, I can assure you that's not something they would have missed.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graychick
Neophyte
Member # 95808

no i wasnt checked. i just happen to have vaginal infections since i was like 12, and i know what to take. i didnt take any antibiotics though. my doctor once gavee me this vaginal lactobacillus capsules for one and they worked. so i got them. it seems to be improving but if it doesnt i´ll get a doctor appointment.
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All vaginal infections are not the same -- and thus, all aren't treated with the same things -- and if you're self-medicating, that might be a big part of why these have been chronic for you.

So, again, I'd strongly suggest you see a doctor or other healthcare provider who can find out what kind of infection this is and make sure you get the proper treatment.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graychick
Neophyte
Member # 95808

okay, i knew i had to do that.. but anyway thank you so much for answering. i love this site.
Heather
Member # 3

Of course. Will you make that appointment so you can take care of yourself well today?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.