Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Condom

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condom
Lustercross
Activist
Member # 93232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lustercross     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I just wanted to know if this situation is safe. Well, I put on a condom and me and my gf had intercourse today. I had the condom on the whole time. Also when I was about to ejaculate, I used the withdrawal method. Is this reliable and safe or should I get her plan B just to be safe?
Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as the condom stayed on the whole time and didn't break (you'd know if it broke) then no ejaculate came in contact with your girlfriend's vulva, making Plan B unnecessary.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lustercross
Activist
Member # 93232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lustercross     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So even if its a small cut, the semen would still be visibly coming out? Because we both looked at the tip and all the semen seemed like it wasn't leaking. Also I have a question on whether this is normal. We have dated almost 2 years and we have been so curious on having our first time. We wanted to wait until her mom got her birth control but a few months ago when they had the appointment her mom lost her job out of nowhere and they had to cancel the appointment. Now her mom just qualified for medicaid but when they make the appointment we would have to wait another month or 2. We were just too curious to wait anymore and that's why we did it today the safest way possible at the moment. I just wanted to know is it normal to be so curious or does it show that were just young dumb desperate teens?
Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When a condom breaks it's not just a little slit or hole. The condom actually splits or shreds--very noticeable!

It is totally normal to be curious about and even eager for sex. There's nothing wrong with it at all as long as it's what you both wanted. ...and you used your chosen birth control method perfectly. For the future, know that withdrawal isn't actually necesssary with condoms as condoms prevent the ejaculate from coming into contact with the vagina anyway. Plus, withdrawal increases the chances that a condom could slip off.

Using a condom as it's meant to be used is very effective birth control.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lustercross
Activist
Member # 93232

Okay I understand and well I know it didn't slip off because when i took it out it was still the same and i held it in place while I ejaculated, then I took it off. And yes we both wanted it. She was the one that brought it up when we were alone because she knew I had condoms in my room for situations like this.
Lustercross
Activist
Member # 93232

I have another question. I have read your articles about condoms and it says that you have to put lubricant on the condom for proper use. I didn't put lubricant in it but I know I had it on the whole time and it never slipped or broke. Did I reduce the effectiveness since I didn't put lubricant in it?

[ 05-09-2012, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: Lustercross ]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

There are two things here: putting a little bit of lubricant inside the condom before you put it on, and also putting lubricant on the outside to reduce friction during intercourse.

You didn't reduce the effectiveness of the condom as it didn't break or fall off. However, using lubricant on the outside does reduce friction which reduces the risk of the condom breaking and can also make intercourse more comfortable for your girlfriend. So for the future we do recommend that you get a good water-based lubricant and use plenty of it on the outside of the condom after you put it on. A little bit inside the condom (mind just a little since you don't want it so slippery it'll slide off) will help it feel more comfortable and can also reduce friction.

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.