Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » two questions about oral contraceptives

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: two questions about oral contraceptives
audreytoo
Activist
Member # 58116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for audreytoo         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I have recently developed melasma (discoloration) on my cheeks. My dermatologist says this happens to some women who are on birth control pills (or who are pregnant, but I am not) and are exposed to the sun - apparently hormones make one's skin more sensitive. My question is, would switching to a Mirena IUD be less likely to cause melasma? I know it is also hormonal, but I've read that it uses less hormones and they are more localized to a small area.

2. I currently take my bcp (Junel) continuously to prevent my period. I never get a period. If I would like to start getting it again - meaning, if I take the sugar/placebo pills for the fourth week, instead of skipping them - how do I make this transition and still protect myself from pregnancy?

Posts: 77 | From: U.S. | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would need to ask your dermatologist whether using the Mirena would make a difference. If melasma is estrogen-related then yes, using the Mirena could make a difference, as the hormone it secretes is not estrogen but rather levonorgestril.

There is no difference in protection when using the placebo pills in a birth control pack. So long as the pills are taken continuously (that is, once one pack is done the next is begun, protection remains constant.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
audreytoo
Activist
Member # 58116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for audreytoo         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. For the second issue, what I mean is, can I go from taking the pills continuously to taking them normally without losing any effectiveness? Meaning, this month, instead of skipping the last week and starting the new pack, I would actually take the placebo pills and menstruate.
Posts: 77 | From: U.S. | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will still be effective. There's nothing special you need to do since you'll actually be taking the pills as they've been prescribed.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.