Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » long-term effect of ibuprofen

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: long-term effect of ibuprofen
teller of tales
Neophyte
Member # 53252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for teller of tales     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If someone could point me in the right direction for this, I'd be glad.
I'm taking ibuprofen to deal with the cramps during my period. It works well for me (most of the time), but I've wondered about the long-term effect on the kidneys, since I most likely will be taking it until menopause kicks in. As far as I know every painkiller is either bad for the kidneys or the liver in the long run so I wanted to ask whether you know about any studies that take a look at the long-term effect of ibuprofen or similar painkillers.

Posts: 30 | From: Europe | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This kind of question is a little outside the scope of what we do here. A quick Google search has shown me some results of adverse effects on kidneys and intestines for ibuprofen (and most NSAIDs for that matter), but I'd be wary of just trusting information over the internet without knowing the source. To find studies, you'd probably have to search medical journals, but honestly, your best bet would be to talk to your doctor. They would be able to evaluate your medical history and see whether the advantages outweigh the risks for your particular situation.

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ith a very quick search, I haven't found any reference to scientific studies on the long-term effects of taking Ibuprofen. When searching for this information, you'll mawant tmake sure that your source is reputable, such as a government health agency or well known medical clinic. Examples here in the U.S. would include the National Institutes of Health and the Mayo Clinic.

One thing to consider is that often when concerns are raised about prolonged use of over the counter pain killers it's when someone is takingthese painkillers in large quantities every day. Our bodies have the ability to find their own homeostasis so, while I can't say this with absolute medical or scientific certainty, I'm thinking that, unless you had a preexisting condition, you taking Ibuprofen in moderate quantities for a few days each month (or however often you get your period) would not raise the same types of red flags for dotors or medical researchers.

I would be curious to hear about any long-term, scientifically rigorous studies that are out there, if you do happen to find them.

Other alternatives for you might be finding other ways to relieve the pain, at least in part, or talking to your doctor about getting a stronger painkiller, which has the benefit, quite often, of not needing to be taken as frequently.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.