Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Question about "buddy system"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about "buddy system"
bri33
Neophyte
Member # 95556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bri33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys,

I've been doing a lot of reading on your site for the past few days about the effectiveness of various methods of contraception. My boyfriend and I currently use the condom/withdrawal method. This is something that we take great care to do accurately and 100% of the time since I am not on HBC (I have a thing against pills/medicine).

My question is, this month I am 7 days late on my period (which normally runs anywhere from 31-35 days each cycle), and although statistically I've seen that the chances are slim of pregnancy, I just wondered if there was any additional information.

I'm trying not to worry because he is always very careful and triple checks the condom before, after, and during use, but at the same time I cannot remember when I have been a full week late.

Thanks for the great site. It has been a big help these past few days.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI there and welcome to Scarleteen. Glad you've found the site to be useful.

It sounds like you and your boyfriend are very attentive to making sure that your chosen birth control methods work as well as possible. STatistics are just statistics, so, as with any sexual activity and any birth control method used, there is always a chance of pregnancy. Know though that you would have noticed had the condom broken; it's a very distinctive splitting or shredding, kind of like a popped baloon.

There are plenty of reasons why a period could be late: stress, illness (even mild illness like a cold), or just the fickleness of the human body.

If you are concerned you can take a home pregnancy test. As I said, pregnancy is always a possibility with sexual activity but from what you've described there is no reason to think that your risk is elevated.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bri33
Neophyte
Member # 95556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bri33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well my period is now 10 days late but I have had some tan and sometimes pinkish discharge. Could this be a symptom that my period is about to begin or that I might be pregnant? I only see it sometimes and it is only enough to be on the tissue after I use the bathroom. I have also had lots of cramping and bloating. I did travel a lot this past month and had a particularly busy and stressful schedule and have also experienced some slight weight loss that possibly could be contributing to being late.

I did take an EPT test this morning that came back negative.

[ 04-16-2012, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: bri33 ]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.