Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » starting a pack of pills late

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: starting a pack of pills late
emmabear
Neophyte
Member # 95473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emmabear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been on Aviane 28 for 2.5 years now and have never had a problem with them, but my most recent pack of pills hasn't arrived yet because of a miscommunication between my insurance and the mail-order pharmacy. I am due to start a new pack on Sunday, but because this is a holiday weekend (at least in the US) I am not sure that they will arrive tomorrow or Saturday. I know the first pill in a new pack is a really bad one to miss, and I'm wondering if I should just start taking the new pills whenever they arrive (even if it's more than 3 days from Sunday) or if I should just wait an entire month and start on the Sunday after my next period like I did when I first started on the pills. Any advice on how I should start the new pack?

***Also, at my next exam I will ask for an extra pack in my prescription so this doesn't happen again!

Posts: 2 | From: Flagstaff, AZ | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would advise that you start the pills as soon as you get them. You will want to back up with a condom for that pack, though, as your protection will likely be compromised.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emmabear
Neophyte
Member # 95473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emmabear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the answer! Just to be completely clear, this would be okay even if I get the pills more than 3 days late? And I can just start the pack and not take multiples to make up for missed pills?

Thanks!

Posts: 2 | From: Flagstaff, AZ | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely. Just start the new pack as you would normally. As Joey said, it is advisable to use a bacup method of birth control (such as condoms) for the first cycle as you will not have had continuous protection. But otherwise you're good to go.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.