Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Vagina Questions.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vagina Questions.
basketballfan
Neophyte
Member # 95179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for basketballfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Growing up all I was taught were the mechanics of sex and about menstruation when it came to the female body. I've since learned about discharge and that women get vaginal infections.

It may sound silly but guys don't to my knowledge get genital infections. I'm just wondering where women's infections originate from, what has to be present for them to occur and the reasons why? It sounds like a high maintenance body part.

Also, when it comes to guys we have a prostate gland and testicles that produce semen and sperm. I know women have vaginal wetness and lubrication and do come but was wondering where the fluid actually comes from. Is there a gland or something that creates it?

Also, males have to reach puberty before sperm production and release of it for women is the ability to lubricate always there or something that only happens after they've reached puberty too. Just curious.

Posts: 4 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People with penises can and do get genital infections, too, not just people with vulvas. And for people with either kind of genitals, genital infections originate from the introduction to viruses, bacteria or parasites, or sometimes (like with yeast infections) due to an imbalance of flora in the body.

The vulva also has glands, and the glands that produce lubrication are the Skene's and Bartholin's glands.

I wouldn't call the vulva or vagina high-maintenance: the vagina cleans itself, after all. [Smile] That said, they're different from the penis in that the way they're laid out, they can be a bit more susceptible to infections or imbalances than a penis can, that's all.

Sperm production and the production of fluids, for any sex, aren't the same thing. Again, this is something where men or women can produce various kinds of lubrication (the foreskin produces lubrication, too) before puberty or before either sperm production or the release of ovum begin.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.