Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Question/Advice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question/Advice
soscaredx
Activist
Member # 95084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soscaredx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After the long process of getting on birth control and waiting until the first day of my period to take it, my boyfriend and I decided to try and have sex for the first time. It happened last night. I took the 19th pill from my very first pack of Sprintec at around noon yesterday. Before we tried, we decided to touch each other and make out to kind of warm up and get turned on because we were both so nervous and we thought that would make both of us more comfortable.

Well, we both got really turned on and things got out of hand and I started giving him a hand job after he fingered me and he finished himself off. He's said before that once he goes once, it's really hard for him to get and keep an erection after that... but we really wanted to have sex, so we decided to give it a go after around 20 minutes had passed.

He finally got another erection, so he put on a condom, and he asked made sure I still comfortable to try and I told him yes. So, he penetrated me just a bit. The only problem was, since he'd ejaculated so soon before, he couldn't keep his erection, so the condom was slipping off and he was having to hold it at the base. He tried to penetrate me once more, but I told him that I wasn't comfortable doing it any more while the condom wasn't put on correctly, so we stopped and decided we'd try again soon.

At no point was there direct genital contact without a condom, and no part of his penis went inside me that wasn't covered by a condom. I said I wasn't going to worry about pregnancy risk because I'd been taking the pill and I thought that with the additional back-up condom protection I'd be as close to risk free as I could get (I know there is always a pregnancy risk with intercourse), but with the condom failure, I kind of am.

I know I probably shouldn't be worried. I've taken 19 pills from my pack at almost exactly the same time each day with the exception of 1 which was taken 56 minutes after the time I normally take my pills. I started taking the pills on the first day of my last period and the info in the packet said I should be protected immediately. I'm still thinking that with the condom failure (even thought he did not ejaculate into the condom or inside of me, that I should take Plan B just this once. Do you think that would be a mistake? Does Plan B interact badly with birth control?

In addition, I have been taking over the counter sinus medication for the past couple of days. I believe they are antihistamines... From what I understand, thought, they aren't thought to make a birth control pill less effective.

Sorry for such a long post. I thought I wouldn't have to post here anymore after starting birth control... but the condom failure freaked me out a bit. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no need to take emergency contraception as you are already on hormonal birth control and you had no bare genital to genital or genital-to-semen contact. It sounds like your boyfriend was keeping good track of the condom by holding it, and that you both stopped when you realized it just wasn't within your comfort level.

Nothing here sounds like even close to a pregnancy risk. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and taking your pill 56 minuts after the time you usually take it isn't a problem. Three hours on either side of your usual time is considered on time, though the closer you can get to the same time of day you can is great because it helps people stay consistent. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soscaredx
Activist
Member # 95084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soscaredx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much. I feel so much better about this situation [Smile] . Obviously, this wasn't how I wanted my first time to go, but things don't always go perfectly I guess. One more question... In the future, should something similar happen only with direct semen to vagina contact or another situation that I don't feel comfortable with, and I did decide to take Plan B, will it have a bad interaction with my birth control... or are they dangerous to take together?
Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no danger in taking them together, it's just that as long as you are taking your pill on time and haven't missed any, Plan B won't reduce the risk. Plan B works like the birth control pill, it prevents ovulation, so if you are already NOT ovulating, then it won't really do anything.

[ 04-30-2012, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: KatWA ]

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soscaredx
Activist
Member # 95084

Oh, okay. I understand. Thanks so much for all of your help [Smile]
soscaredx
Activist
Member # 95084

Okay. I have one more new concern. I take my birth control at 12 everyday. Because of this, sometimes I have to take it at work because I work early morning/afternoon shifts a lot. I got to thinking about this today: the registers that I work on, the time is an hour behind. So it might say 12 and it's really one. I know that I probably use my phone to determine timw at work, but if I accidentally used the register to get the time a few days in a row, and I took it at 1 for a couple of days, would it be a less effective? I know that's probably not a big deal oe anything, but I just thought I'd ask to be on the safe side.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

It's absolutely okay. You could take your pill up to three hours late and still have it be considered on time.

--------------------
Robin

soscaredx
Activist
Member # 95084

Okay. I was just worried about taking it an hour late multiple days in a row... but I guess there's no reason to worry. Thanks [Smile]
soscaredx
Activist
Member # 95084

Just a quick update: started spotting today (on 3rd inactive pill), and throughout the day, it seems like it's turned into an incredibly light period - heavy enough to where I need to wear a pad, though. I have the same headaches and lower stomach cramps that I get during my period.

I'm just going to keep a watch on it and make sure it doesn't disappear too quickly or something weird like that. If it is in fact a normal period, even though we (attempted) to have sex Sunday night, I can assume that I'm probably not pregnant, right?

Next time I'm gonna make sure that condom stays on tight so there'll be no worries.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.