Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Chances of pregnancy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chances of pregnancy?
littlemissheart
Neophyte
Member # 48260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlemissheart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know you receive these kinds of questions a lot so I apologize in advance.
I was just wondering if you would consider my risk of pregnancy low, medium, high, or very high? I had unprotected sex on sunday, and he did not finish inside of me. However on tuesday I had unprotected sex again and he did finish inside of me. I also think I am supposed to be ovulating on (or around) tuesday which does not help matters. I was able to pick up Missed choice emergency contraceptive and I took it, but it was 24-25 hours later. What would you consider my risk of pregnancy? Also I was just curious if emergency contraceptive will be as effective if the second pill was not taken?

(P.S - I'll be on the pill birth control ASAP now that I've refilled my prescription through my gyno.)

Thank you!

Posts: 33 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having unprotected sex in which your partner ejaculated inside of you is a pregnancy risk.

Emergency contraception can be effective up to 120 hours after the sexual encounter.

All medications, including emergency contraception, are most effective when taken as directed. So no, the emergency contraception you took cannot be considered to be as effective as it could have been. This is not to say that it was completely ineffective. There's no way to know that.

You will want to take a pregnancy test. Pregnancy tests can be taken 14 days or more after a pregnancy risk, or if your period is late.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissheart
Neophyte
Member # 48260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlemissheart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok thank you for the information.

One question regarding your post too... So if my partner does not ejaculate inside me but we engage in unprotected sex does this not pose to be a pregnancy risk? Or just a lower risk?

Posts: 33 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lower risk, but substantially so.

The difference, ultimately, between a 100% risk and somewhere around (an estimated) 6% risk.

(Of pregnancy, mind: risks of some STIs are not decreased at all by that. Are you two both up-to-date with your STI tests, negative with all STIs you can each be tested for, and have you been sexually exclusive for at least a half a year since the last time either of you were with other partners? If not, just know STI risks can be big, and going without condoms can mean taking big STI risks.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissheart
Neophyte
Member # 48260

Ok good to know, thank you Heather.
And we both got tested when we first got into a relationship over two months ago. And the last time we were both with any other sexual partners was 8 months ago. So we're all up to date and negative for STIs. I'm definitely getting back on the pill today as well.
However, if I start the pill now I won't know if I'm late for my period. So should I just take a pregnancy test in two weeks to double check? (Especially since I didn't take the last pill of the emergency contraceptive).

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, its definitely a good idea to take a pregnancy test in a couple of weeks.

You'll also want to use a back-up form of birth control for your first month of taking the pill.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissheart
Neophyte
Member # 48260

Oh I did not know I should use a back up birth control method. Thank you for letting me know!
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're most welcome.

Here's some more info on the Pill. Some sources say that the Pill can be effective (in certain situations) after seven days of use, but we recommend using backup birth control for the entire first cycle just to be sure.

Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)

--------------------
Robin

littlemissheart
Neophyte
Member # 48260

I'm now having some very mild cramping. Is it common to have mild cramping 4-5 days after taking the next choice emergency contraceptive (even though I only took 1 of the 2 pills)? Or could this be implantation cramping? I'm not bleeding whatsoever, just very mild cramping. I'm due for a period around April 7th, but usually never have any cramping accompanied with it. So could this be due to taking half the next choice or a possible pregnancy?
Sorry for being so needy with questions, you guys are an amazing help.

Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Implantation cramping is a myth. The only symptom of implantation is bleeding - which is extremely rare, but when it does happen the bleeding has no other symptoms.

EC can alter the way we experience periods; so this is cramping is most likely a combination of your period coming and the EC affecting the way that period arriving feels.

You don't sound needy at all; this is a place to ask as many questions as you like, and it's sound to find these things out to take care of yoursellf in mind and body. Thank you for the kind words. [Smile]

[ 04-02-2012, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Saffron Reimi ]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charmaine861
Neophyte
Member # 95445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charmaine861     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had unprotected sex in which my partner ejaculated inside of me I use a birth control pill that was like a few years old praying it stop cells from growing not sure if that work than a full week and a half went by and now i am the pill called sprintec i been taken the pills when i do remember but i have been really sick with throwing up when i brush my teeth and mood swings foods make me throw up by smell of it i dont know if i may be expecting or not can someone help me i think pregnancy can be but not sure and ghb dont build up till 3 or 4 month dont know why but can someone help me with why i feeling way i feel please
Posts: 1 | From: Florida | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So you took pills that had expired? Where did you get those pills? When had they expired? Did you take the pills at the same time every day? How long had you been taking them by the time you had sex?

The pills have an expiration date, like all drugs. That doesn't mean that they completely lose effectiveness the day they expire, but it means that once the expiration date has passed, there is no guarantee that the drug will work as advertised. In the case of the pill, it means that the protection may be compromise. And the older the pills are, the higher the chances that the protection is compromised.

So, yes, it sounds like you did have a pregnancy risk. If I understand correctly, it has been more than two weeks since this encounter, you can take a pregnancy test now and get an accurate result.

Where did you get the pills that you are on now? Did you get them prescribed by a doctor? If so, when you were prescribed the pills, were you asked about past pregnancy risks?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.