Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » is this safe to do ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: is this safe to do ?
mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysteryflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if i was to rub genitals with my boyfriend wearing a condom, would this be considered safe? its a silly question and i know i always ask for advice but where im from we really dont get taught about any of sexual things,
Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you were to do that, you'd have the level or protection condoms can offer from sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy. With STIs, that's 70% and up, depending on the STI, and with pregnancy, that's 98% in perfect use and around 85% in typical use.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysteryflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
can you define the difference between typical and perfect use?
Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure.

Perfect use -- of any method -- is when a method is used exactly as directed, and always used. Typical use is how people tend to use it in regular life, not lab studies or perfect use directions.

For condoms, perfect use would be storing them properly, opening them properly, using enough lube, putting them on right, having them on for ALL genital contact and removing them correctly. Typical use can involve not doing one or more of any of those things, like removing it halfway through contact or only putting it on after contact has started, putting it on backwards, not using lube as needed, etc.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

okay thank you, my boyfriend told me he put his on the wrong way round, if there was no ejactulation and only the tip penetrated would that leave a low level risk, e.g. typical use?
mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

inside out even*
Heather
Member # 3

If someone puts a condom on the wrong way, then instead of ditching it and opening a new condom to put on the right way, just flips it around, then yes, that's no longer perfect use.

So, you need to let your boyfriend know to a) just take an extra second to make sure it's the right way first to avoid that mistake, and b) if he makes it, he needs to get a new condom to use, not use that one he put on wrong.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

mysteryflower
Activist
Member # 85944

okay thank you, so today that happened he didnt realise till afterwards, but there was no tears or anything, he didnt change it cause we didnt realise, there was a tiny bit of penetration DEFINATLY not sex and no one ejectulated there was only pre cum in the condom, so would this situation be anything to be concerned about? (I read the condom article which i have found very useful and will take advice from now on^^)
Heather
Member # 3

I have a very hard time answering when someone asks if they should have concern about something in this way, because...well, I can't tell you what to be concerned about.

ANY time -- and I think we've talked about this before -- a person with a penis and someone with a vulva have direct (as in, you're naked) contact, there are possible STI or pregnancy risks. Even with condoms. If you reduce those risks with condoms, the risks are lower, but they are still there. If you use condoms perfectly, they're more reduced than if you don't.

So, if you don't use them perfectly, then yes, the risks will be higher than if you had.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.