Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth control issues

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control issues
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for srk20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to ovulate on birth control? I'm two weeks before my expected period and I feel like I'm ovulating. I'm havig cramps and pelvic pain and breast tenderness. I also checked my cervix and it feels low and open and there's a lot of white mucus which is a change from before. Just wondering if it could be because my low dose birth control isn't working like it should. Btw I take my pills everyday within half an hour of eachother and have never missed a pill so I'm a perfect user.
Posts: 197 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's not possible to ovulate while taking oral contraceptives. The way that oral contraceptives work is by preventing ovulation. The are almost 100% effective at doing that.

Have you spoke in depth about your pregnancy fears to the gyn who is treating you for the issue with your uterus?

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for srk20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've spoken to him about it but as soon as I said I'm not having vaginal intercourse he just stopped listening. I aslo told him that with pcos and my weight (I'm 205) I should be on a higher dose pill and he told me that that is nonsense and I'm on the pill I should be on but now I'm worried because I'm still having he pelvic cramping and softness of cervix with tender breasts and it all started exactly 2 weeks before my withdrawl bleed is due. Are these normal side effects? I took a pregnancy test this morning and it was negative but it was second morning urine, about two hours after first morning urine but it was pretty dark yellow so I assumed it would have the hormones in it
Posts: 197 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's right there, your weight and PCOS won;t affect your protection from your low dose pill. All pills are 98-99% effective no matter who uses them.

Those symptoms are extremely common side effects of taking the pill, and can show up no matter how long you've been taking the pill.

Does the box or instructions on the pregnancy test say anything about it having to be first morning unrine?

Dark yellow urine simple means you haven't drank enough water. It's usually like that in the morning because people can't drink much water during the night, as they're busy with sleeping. You can't tell if there are hormones in your urine by looking at it.

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Okay so, here's what I think happened.
Last monday i started having two scoops of psyllium husk (fiber) before going to bed. I was having it Mon Feb 27th till Thurs March 1st, every night about half an hour after taking my birth control. The way that psyllium husk works is by lining the intestines and I'm scared that my birth control may not have gotten absorbed properly. I feel like that may be why I experienced the breast tenderness and cramping. Should I continue to take the pack? If it hadn't worked at all, would I have had a withdrawal bleed? Has my protection been compromised? My boyfriend and I engaged in mutual masturbation on Thursday March 1st. I'm pretty sure I washed my hands before touching myself, but if I didn't my hands were still dry and I only touched his precum. Do I need to worry about any risks here? Also, will my cycle resume and will I get a bleed at the right time at the end of the pack?

srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Any chance anyone can get back to me please? Ivehad tender breasts for the past 3 days and I'm starting to get worried now.. Thanks
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've answered a number of your pregnancy scare questions in the past. Can you go check what we said in the past and see if those answer your questions, as well as looking through anything we've linked you to?

If you'd like to talk about why you are so nervous about pregnancy but engaging in activities that worry you we're happy to do that.

[ 03-06-2012, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: CoatRack ]

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

I had a look past at the questions that I've posted before and if you're reluctant to answer this time, that's okay. I think the only real confusion I have is whether I should continue to use this pack or if I'm supposed to start a new one. I'm assuming my effectiveness was compromised from Mon-Thurs because the pill was not absorbed properly due to the supplement that I was taking, and since I realized that on the Monday after, I assume it's too late to take any extra pills as I didn't really "miss" any, they just didn't get absorbed properly. If that's the case, would I have had a withdrawal bleed? I'm just not clear on what to do now because I feel like I messed up my cycle and that's why I'm experiencing the cramping and breast pain, should I continue with this same pack? I'm currently on my 3rd week of pills, or should I start a new one?

[ 03-06-2012, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: srk20 ]

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about calling your pharmacist and asking about whether the psyllium husk could have affected your birth control? Pharmacists have full databases of indications and contraindications for different medicines and supplements and can give you definitive information. I think unless you get a pharmacist's or doctor's feedback that there was a problem, it's not sound or helpful to assume there is one.

So, how about starting there to see if you have something to worry about re effectiveness.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's really something you need to call your doctor or pharmacy about.

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

I've called my dr and he's not getting back to me, and the pharmacist told me that she doesn't know if those medicines will interact. I'm kind of at a loss of information here.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would it help you to know that there are no published studies that show psyllium husk as interacting with birth control pills? In this article, we have a list of things that have been found to interact. Also know that interacting doesn't mean making bc less effective or non-effective.

Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)

I think unless you know otherwise, continuing to take this pack is a sound thing to do. If you are having the kinds of sex that can lead to pregnancy, you and your boyfriend can use a backup method like condoms.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Icon 4 posted      Profile for srk20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm starting to freak out here and I really need your help. It's been 1 week since my initial post and the breast tenderness hasn't stopped, it's still there and my breasts have actually gotten bigger. For the past two days I've also started feeling nauseous which never ever happens to me. I had my last period on feb 17th. On march 2nd is when the symptoms of tenderness and cramping started which was two weeks after the start of my last period and two weeks before when my next withdrawal bleed is due; it would be when I ovulated assuming the pill had not stopped my ovulation. I am now 3 weeks in to my cycle and starting to feel naueous. I really don't understand what is going on- this is my 3rd month on this brand of pilll so these side affects shouldn't be happening. I got scared last Wednesday and just took a test but it was with afternoon urine- it came back negative but there was an evaporation line. Could these be pregnancy symptoms?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid we really need to hold our lines here and hold you to the limit we hold all users to when it comes to pregnancy scares. Like Robin mentioned, we've talked you through this more than three times now, so per our guidelines, that needs to be it.

That's not to say we can't talk with you about other things, including discussing you making different choices more in alignment with NOT having scares, but we need to be done talking you through scares now.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

I understand what you mean, Heather and trust me I'm really not trying to abuse any resources here. I am genuinely worried because I've never had these symptoms before in the 3rd month into a new pill- they usually have happened during the first month and then evened out, not started in the 3rd. I know that I shouldn't think that it's pregnancy related but it's scary because that's the first and only reason that comes to my mind. Why else would breast tenseness+ cramping+ nausea be happening before my period is due? The tenderness has been there for more than a week now.

[ 03-10-2012, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: srk20 ]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

The symptoms you describe could be from a multitude of things. If you are concerned, your most efficient course of action would be to see a doctor. WE could go back and forth on what they could be, or what could be causing them, but that's really just more time you spend worrying. See what I mean?

Any chance of making an appointment with your doctor so you can chat through all of this with them?
?

--------------------
Robin

srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

I'm going to see my dr on Thursday and I'm nervous about it. I just want to feel better- the tenderness is still there, I'm cramping and now I'm starting to feel nauseous. I also tried masturbating the this morning and it hurts if I push against my pelvic floor muscles. Just a question- How soon after ovulation do pregnancy symptoms start to appear i.e cramping/breast tenderness/nausea? Is it possible for them to happen before a missed period?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Pregnancy symptoms don't have anything to do with ovulation. Pregnancy symptoms occur during pregnancy. To put that into perspective, the process of becoming pregnant takes at least a week after the sex that led to the pregnancy; in other words, a person doesn't have sex on Thursday and become pregnat on Friday. It's also worth noting that many pregnant people don't experience pregnancy symptoms during their first few weeks of pregnancy, hence why many don't know they're pregnant right away.

Does this make sense?

--------------------
Robin

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you were able to get an appointment with your doctor so soon, hopefully that will help put your mind at ease. As for pregnancy symptoms, I don't think any information we can give you is going to make you worry any less, and as Heather has said, we have discussed these issues with you several times now and that conversation needs to be done.

We are more than happy to discuss you making choices which help you not to have pregnancy scares in the first place, but talking you through scares and possible symptoms needs to stop.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

I understand what you are saying, Karybu. I'm not trying to ask you to coach me through any scare here- I was genuinely trying to understand the education behind the process so that I can understand for myself how it works. I have never had any sort of sexual education and have no one to speak to so this is my only source for that knowledge especially since information in other sources literally states that women can start having symptoms well before their period.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Robin said, pregnancy symptoms often don't start right at the beginning of pregnancy - most of the time, it takes at least a few weeks. Some people do notice a few things right away, but given that pregnancy takes around a week to even happen, those symptoms would not be noticeable more than few days before a period is expected.

So, if a woman who has a pretty predictable 28-day cycle were to ovulate on day 14 of that cycle, and that egg were fertilized and implanted in the uterus, that whole process would not be complete until around day 21 or 22 of her cycle, which is only about a week before she'd be expecting her next period. Even IF she noticed any sort of pregnancy symptoms immediately (which would be unusual, honestly) those symptoms would not be starting "well before" her period. Obviously, those numbers don't apply to everyone, as cycles vary in length from person to person and not everyone ovulates at the same time, but does that help make this clearer for you?

Also, what are your other sources for this information? Well-known medical websites or books? Healthcare providers?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Thank you so much, Karybu- that really, really helps put things into perspective. Well the sources I've been using have been mommy blog websites and babymed and justmommies, things like that- other than that you guys are my only reliable source. My dr doesn't really help educate me because as far as he's concerned as long as I'm not having vaginal intercourse then I should not have any questions. I also have another question- I usually take my pill at 10pm every night, but because of daylight's savings time, we are now an hour ahead. Does that mean that I should start taking my pills at 11pm to keep with the same timings? That's a little too late for me, is there any way I can transition it back to 10pm which would be 9pm old time?

[ 03-12-2012, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: srk20 ]

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

An hour's difference with the combined pill is not a problem at all, so you can keep taking it at your usual time of 10 pm - it won't impact effectiveness.

Per your sources for this info: blogs and baby websites aren't really the greatest. Your best bet for any kind of health information on the web is sites like webmd. To get an idea of how you can figure out what's good information and what's not, this article might be helpful: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/crisis/legit_or_unfit_finding_safe_sound_sex_educators_support_online

Libraries are also wonderful sources of information, and usually have some general health books, so that's another option.

--------------------

srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Thank you so much for that information and those links, I will definitely look through them. Since we're on the topic of education I actually have one more question for you. I've been reading on various websites (I know you said they aren't reliable) that there are women out there who have negative urine/blood HCG tests weeks after when conception could have occurred and are actually pregnant- basically saying that a pregnancy can continue without any detectable hcg in the body. Is this true and/or possible???

links:
http://forums.families.com/pregnant-with-no-detectable-hcg,t122248

http://en.allexperts.com/q/ObGyn-Pregnancy-issues-1007/Pregnant-HCG-detected-possible.htm

http://ehealthforum.com/health/pregnancy-symptoms-but-no-detectable-hcg-t232166-a1.html#b

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Is it possible to have tests come back negative but still be pregnant? Yes, it is possible. Is it likely? Absolutely not. Urine tests are very accurate as long as they're used properly, blood tests even more so, so it's very, very unlikely that a test will not give an accurate result when it's used properly.

Something to keep in mind about internet sources like the ones you linked to is that there will ALWAYS be someone posting who had a friend who had a cousin who had a hairdresser (or something) who had negative tests and was actually pregnant - what you don't get are all the millions of women posting who have been pregnant, taken tests, and gotten accurate results. Part of the reason sites like that aren't reliable is that you get people talking about their own personal experiences, which are not representative of the majority of pregnancies. People are always much more willing to talk about something out of the ordinary happening, which can make it seem like this sort of thing happens all the time, even though it really doesn't. Does that make sense?

--------------------

srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

I think I noted in another thread somewhere but since starting this pill I have also been urinating way too frequently. I've seen a urologist and he wanted me to get a CT scan but I want to hold off on that till I have my MRI done for the uterus issue since the CT scan emits a lot of radiation. For the past few days along with the frequent urination I've also been having incontinence. I'm scared and feel like it's because of this stupid pill that I'm on. All the symptoms started two weeks after I started taking it and now that I'm at the end of the 3rd pack, they still haven't stopped. I have an appt to talk to my gyn about this on Thursday but I want to stop this pill. I have one more blue active pill left in the pack for tonight- which contains progestin+ estradiol. Is it okay if I don't take that and jump ahead to the estrogen and finish off the pack? It's tuesday and I expect my withdrawal bleed on Friday because that's when it happened the last two packs

Please let me know, thanks.

The pill insert says the following:
DOSAGE FORMS AND STRENGTHS
Lo Loestrin Fe (norethindrone acetate and ethinyl estradiol tablets, ethinyl estradiol tablets
and ferrous fumarate tablets) is available in blister packs.
Each blister pack (28 tablets) contains in the following order:
• 24 blue, round (active) tablets imprinted with “WC” on one side and “421” on the other
and each containing 1 mg norethindrone acetate and 10 mcg ethinyl estradiol.
• 2 white, hexagonal (active) tablets imprinted with “WC” on one side and “422” on the
other and each containing 10 mcg ethinyl estradiol.
• 2 brown, round (non-hormonal placebo) tablets imprinted with “WC” on one side and
“624” on the other and each containing 75 mg ferrous fumarate. The ferrous fumarate tablets do not serve any therapeutic purpose.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really think that with you having so many health issues going on, we're just not the right people to ask.

You're seeing doctors who have all of your health history and specifics: I think you should call them about this and see what they suggest. They are far more sound to ask than we are.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neophyte
Member # 95349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 101707     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if stress can affect IUD in anyway. If it can lower the chance of working

--------------------
Ina papatsie

Posts: 1 | From: Iiqaluit,Nunavut | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.