Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Question about periods after coming off the pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about periods after coming off the pill
nayit
Neophyte
Member # 47861

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nayit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,sorry for the naivety of the question but I just wanted some assurance and Scarteen has always helped.

I last had sex with my boyfriend on Jan 3rd (I have not had any sex since).I was on my second pack of pills then (I had started the 2nd pack on the 31st of Dec).
I finished the pack on the 20th.
I had my withdrawal bleed on the 24th of Jan and after that I did not continue the pill as I was given a 2 month dosage.

The following month I had my second period (Just to recap I had not taken an pills in feb) on the 25th of Feb (Not sure about the dates but it was between 20th and 28th)

Its march now and I haven't yet had a period.Is there any chance I could be pregnant despite not having engaged in any sexual activity since jan 3rd and having two consecutive periods after?

I would be grateful for any advice.

Posts: 35 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you had taken that second pack as directed with no late or missed pills, you were protected from pregnancy during that time. So, there is no reason to assume that you might have had a pregnancy risk.

Both starting and stopping hormonal birth control can cause irregular bleeding, and you did both within a very short space of time. So, an irregular period is nothing unusual, even if you have had regular periods in the meantime.

Is there a particular reason you only took the pill for 2 months?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nayit
Neophyte
Member # 47861

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nayit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for your reply.Its put my mind at ease.

I initially started the pill for 2 months as my PMS symptoms were too severe (Headaches,severe cramps etc etc) and my boyfriend was visiting me over christmas as well.My doctor asked me to try to pill for 2 months and then if I din't have any issues, she would give me dosage for 6 months or longer.
However through Jan,I found out the pill did not suit me.So i completed the pack and instead she has given me an alternate herbal medicine to ease PMS pains.

Thank you once again for your reply.Scarleteen has been of immense help with regard to all my queries.

[ 03-24-2012, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: nayit ]

Posts: 35 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, just checking in on that. It is usually recommended to give the pill a try for at least 3 months, as it can take that long for the body to adjust to the hormones and the side-effects to subside. But if the pill isn't working for you, and you have instead found something that has, it sounds like you're doing just fine!

Glad we could help!

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nayit
Neophyte
Member # 47861

Thanks,I also had another question with regard to contraception.Since taking the pill can sometimes be inconvenient would you say Implanon (Birth Control Implant) is a safe method to use instead of the pill? Would it have the same side effects as a pill?

Also,as I have had a withdrawal bleed and a period around the same time,the following month,its safe to say I'm not pregnant? (Just to let you know,the pill was taken around the same time everyday without missing a pill.A condom was used at all times and my boyfriend never finished inside me).I ask because information on the internet can sometimes be more nerve-racking than informative or comforting.There seem to be women on various forums who cause alarm/panic among other scared/worried girls by saying that they had their periods during their first trimester.As far as my sex education and general knowledge goes,I think its not really possible apart from rare exceptions as the point of a period is to shed the uterus lining when it isn't fertilized.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nayit: like the pill, the implant has gone through rigorous testing and is safe. It's progestin-only, not progestin and estrogen like the combined pill, so you might have some of the same side effects, but you might not, especially effects associated with estrogen. The most common side effect with the implant is spotting.

And yes, I'd say that given it's safe to say you're not pregnant and your instincts are right on about periods and pregnancy.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nayit
Neophyte
Member # 47861

Thanks a lot Heather for your reply.I'll wait patiently for my period.I've been stressed out lately and that's definitely not helping with my period.

Thanks very much once again.

nayit
Neophyte
Member # 47861

Hi,sorry for the bother again.Just to check
I took a home pregnancy test today just to put my mind at ease.It has been around 12 weeks since I last had sex and around 9 weeks since I stopped the pill,can I take it that the test will show accurate results by now? irrespective of the time I take it ( I din't take it right in the morning but took it an hour after my cup of tea). I din't put the cap back on but a line did appear on the control window indicating the test is working accurately (this is what it says on the instruction manual)

The test was taken as instructed and showed negative.This can be considered to be accurate at 12 weeks?

Thanks

[ 03-26-2012, 04:03 AM: Message edited by: nayit ]

nayit
Neophyte
Member # 47861

[ 03-26-2012, 04:02 AM: Message edited by: nayit ]

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
12 weeks after sex is plenty of time for a test to be accurate, so you can trust those results.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.